PDA

View Full Version : How to: replace shift shaft?

quad2xtreme
12-19-2009, 03:44 PM
wondering how easy it is to replace the shaft that the shifter bolt to? Mine split apart in the recessed area?

I assume the right hand side case needs to come off along with the clutch basket. What else is involved or do I have it all wrong?

Thanks

rocky_mtn_honda
12-19-2009, 04:49 PM
time to split the cases my friend...right down the middle :p

BRAD6160
12-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Good luck my friend.....I have been puttting mine off since the Steele Creek GNCC. I got a new shifter after that race. It lasted about 2 races. I used JB Weld, lasted 1 race. Then I finally welded the shifter to the shaft. Now time to break down and split the cases and replace the shaft before the start of next season......which is only 2 months away.

Let us know how everything goes...if you end up doing it yourself or sending it to someone. I am going to send mine to Moto-X-Perts so they can replace it.

rocky_mtn_honda
12-19-2009, 05:48 PM
wow...your paying to ship it and fix it? how much do they charge? ill do it for ya if u wanna ship me the motor for half the cost of them...

3400ben
12-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I have changed mine twice. BAD HONDA!!!!!

quad2xtreme
12-19-2009, 08:47 PM
just to make sure there is no confusion...I do mean on a 2001 400ex. I know my signature lists a 450r.

The 400ex is my trail quad.

I think I will opt for welding too until I have to tear the motor down.

Thanks,

Jon

BRAD6160
12-20-2009, 08:54 AM
I am sponsored through them. I am just sending them the bottom end. They are going to do the ISF process on the gears also through CV4. They paid for shipping last time.

Langbolt
02-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Question:

Can you just remove the LEFT case including the stator and starter ?

Or do you HAVE to do both sides (including the clutch) to replace the shifter shaft ?

They show in the manual that you seperate the Left case from the right.....but if you're not removing the Transmission......why can't you leave the Clutch side alone ???

Anyone ever try this ? Or am I looking at a complete dissassembly ?

Thanks

fishnfergie
02-18-2010, 04:10 PM
You don't just remove one side of the case it splits and all the inners must be removed in order to get it to split. Its the same as what you would do to replace a crank for the most part, except you are replacing the shift shaft...

Langbolt
02-18-2010, 04:43 PM
I understand that part......It's just that in the HONDA Service manual it shows the right side (clutch side) being removed from the Left side Stator side)

So If I take the Clutch and gears out.....I can seperate the case halves WITHOUT removing the flywheel.

:D

I just hate taking things apart or dissassembling things that aren't neccesary.

fishnfergie
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Ah ok, I should have figured you knew that with those quads in your sig but you never know around here haha.

Sorry I cant help you more than that I havent looked that deep into this engine.

slightlybent47
02-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Mine has been welded for the past year and it still holding up. No since in splitting the cases until you need to. The shaft is ruined anyway so just weld it in place. Be careful not to put too much heat on it. Rap a wet rag around the shaft while you weld on it. Have some water handy to cool it off. Weld a spot and then cool it off and then weld it some more, a little bit at a time. If you get it to hot you will melt the seal in the case and it will leak oil.

Good luck

Langbolt
02-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah....I know my 250R like the back of my hand.....I'm just gettin' my feet wet with these 4-strokes.

I have to replace the shifter shaft as some "backyard butcher" welded it!!! I'll post some pics so you can all have a laugh.

And I was correct......YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OPEN THE LEFT COVER AT ALL.

I removed the 11 bolts on the left side going into the right case.....then removed the RIGHT cover....Clutch, crank shaft gears....didn't touch the OIL PUMP.

A couple wraps with the old hammer and VOILA!!!

She's apart.

Now I have to CUT the old shifter shaft and pass it through the case.

Thanks for the replies...guys

:devil:

Langbolt
02-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Here's a pic of the Shifter shaft....Looks like he changed the oil with a pair of vise grips!!! That bolt is trashed!

xcracer416
02-28-2010, 09:52 AM
ive done mine once. and yes she ha to be tore down all the way. there is no way around it. face it bud that transmission and crankshaft will be looking at you before you get a new shaft in it

Langbolt
02-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Yep! This way I got to see the condition of EVERYTHING!!!

BUT! You only have to remove the CLUTCH Side cover and then split the cases....YOU DO NOT have to remove the Mag cover and Flywheel.

The Shift forks....gears and clutch were all really good! No gouges or chunks of metal missing anywhere.

I should have taken step by step picks and maybe had it posted as a Sticky!

:D

jdog75
02-28-2010, 11:46 AM
there is an easy way to prevent the shaft from stripping. just put your lever in a vice and grind it with an anglegrinder so it will crush tighter.

moddedblaster20
02-28-2010, 04:35 PM
my shift lever is starting to come loose and ill tighten it good but once i ride its loose again. what should i do?

quad2xtreme
02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by moddedblaster20
my shift lever is starting to come loose and ill tighten it good but once i ride its loose again. what should i do?

What the guy above says...grind a slighter bigger slot in it so it can tighten down better.

moddedblaster20
02-28-2010, 07:40 PM
ok man. i will try that one day! i just dont want to take everything apart to fix that. thanks