PDA

View Full Version : a good laugh at my expense

Buddha907
12-19-2009, 02:00 PM
If you have felt maybe you've done something half witted lately here is one that will make you feel better about yourself. I had the kids out riding recently and ended up getting myself stuck big time in the mud. We decided to call it a day and loaded up the bikes. Well we got home and i started washing the bikes down, I was running with no lid on my airbox and discovered to my horror that my airbox was FULL of mud. Anyway his was also pretty bad so I cleaned both filters and washed out the airboxes,and wiped out the inlet tubes real well. everything looked great so the next morning off we go riding again. All the bikes started right up and the lttler kids took off. As soon as my older boy and i took off his bike quit. We got it running but it ran like garbage. Hmmm, maybe water,maybe fouled out the plug? I spent the next hour or two working on it while he rode my quad. No water,cleaned plug, no good. When we got home thought maybe plug was just shot so I put a new plug in and it started right up. Then went to garbage again. Hmmmm. Next step was to pull the carb cause the throttle felt funny so I thought maybe the linkage was fouled up or just needed a good cleaning. As soon as we got the carb off AHAA there was the paper towel I did not know was missing. After we had a good laugh I took the opportunity to point out that knowing how to simple work like we just did can save alot of money and embaressment, I would have died if I took this to the shop and payed someone a hundred bucks to laugh at me

fauxamish
12-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Glad to here it was something simple. I was at a race and my bike would not start at all. Cranked and cranked, but would not catch. Tried bump starting it and everything. Checked all electrical connections and still nothing. After 20 minutes, I saw the killswitch tether hanging from my pants...

Duf6
12-19-2009, 08:05 PM
thats funny i've done the same with killswitch walked home about 3 miles to get help, really felt like a jackass when i got back to it

fauxamish
12-19-2009, 08:12 PM
I made my mom's boyfriend push it about 8 times before I saw it dangling there. He is hesitant to come to anymore races.

fishnfergie
12-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Haha I just helped my roommate put his Blaster back together and I sat there and Kicked and Kicked and Kicked for like 20 minutes and then gave up. I'm like WTF so I walk away and come back and I look at the switch and and it is in the off position. I felt Like such a jackass.

tri5ron
12-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I learned along time ago,

that you have less chance of draining your battery dead,....

If you first,...
TURN ON THE FUEL VALVE !!!

FACEPALMFACEPALMFACEPALMFACEPALM

fauxamish
12-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Ha ha ha been there too.

J.J.
12-20-2009, 12:17 AM
dont even get me started about forgetting to turn on the fuel.. this has happened to me twice in the last week..

even better, i finally got me a 450 yesterday.. its an 05 kick start.. i had a world of trouble starting it the first few times and my parents were laughin at me.. couple hours later i call them out and say "this thing isnt crap to start now" and started kicking.. and kicking... and kicking... then realized the switch was in the off position.. ha

guenther
12-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Buddha907 don't feel bad. I went out to ride in the snow today and couldn't get mine started. I cranked it a few times and it didn't start so I remember to turn the fuel back on, duh! Crank, crank, crank.......pop, run, die, crank, crank, crank, pop, run, die....crank, crank, crank, battery dead. Put on jumper box, crank, crank, crank, pop, crank, crank, crank, nothing. After about 5 minutes I checked the fuel and it was almost dry. Turned to reserve and it fired right off :cuss: I had forgotten that I had run it almost dry a few weeks ago. I was thinking the whole time, "Damn, I've got to re-jet this sumbeoch because of the winter." I hate doing stupid crap like that!

Ryan'07400ex
12-20-2009, 08:58 PM
When I put my HMF on I tried starting it for the first time and it wouldn't for nothing... so i checked the gas, the plug, and was sitting there saying OMG is it that lean? Then i remembered turning my gas off for putting my chasis skid on to. then it fired up and I was like Dang that sounds MEAN! ha

06typeS
12-21-2009, 07:48 AM
I have done the fuel thing myself, last winter it could start and shut right off. Couldn't figure it out check the plug, pulled the air cleaner apart, went over the carb. Then my dad ask's if it has enough gas, put a gallon in and ran like a champ. Felt like a dumbass

dubee
12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
I got one i flipped mine in a creek(deep just floating there upside down). got it to the house drained all water out,oil and gas.

I got get a little bit off gas put it in and it dont start FOREVER i started to get really worried that i messed my valves, Then I remembered i bearly put any gas in and just had to put it on reserve after almost draining the battery.

white tails
12-21-2009, 08:12 PM
i rode to a party out in one of my friends woods. it was 12 so i decided to leave. i got on and cranked it for about a minute on and off. nothing. checked the gas. spark plug wire. still nothing. got a ride home to get my truck. pushed it on the back. the next day changed the plug, it looked fine. cranked some more. still nothing. looked at my handle bars, the kill switch was to the left. i was like gosh damit. flicked it to the middle and it started right up. at least i had a new plug in it lol

bergoff
12-22-2009, 07:47 AM
i bought a xr650l a few years ago at a honda dealership it ran great there. the salesman loaded it in my truck and when we went to go riding it wouldn't start. so i loaded it back into the truck and took it back. the gas was shut off. i felt like such a idiot. the salesman looked at the bike and laughed at me. turned the gas on and walked away. i felt so stupid but we all have brain farts sometimes in our lives.

pyro7478
01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
i got one better. before we took off on to the trails this past december i fired my quad up and let it run to warm up. it ran perfect then it died. i went to fire it back up and it ran like crap, it kept dieing. after killing the battery we pop started it a few times before i realized the choke was still on