PDA

View Full Version : 14 yr old? Which quad is too much?

LTMFB
12-19-2009, 09:45 AM
So we're going to get my son into quads. I just bought a 08 DS450x and was wondering what you all thought was TOO MUCH for a new rider. I think he'll pick it up quick so I don't want to have to buy again next summer if he outgrows a 250.

So is a 400ex too much for him cause I can get a used 400ex for fairly cheap as opposed to a raptor 250.....

TIA for the input

trx400EXtreme
12-19-2009, 10:38 AM
i got my 400ex the day i turned 13. i'm 17 and still have it, although it is a 440 now. regardless i havent really outgrown it as far as size goes. i can still hang with all my buddies on 450's.

RedRider08450r
12-19-2009, 10:52 AM
400 is a great machine. I got my first 50 when I was 3 1/2 but my honest thinking on it is look at how long are you going to keep it, your budget, and if he enjoys riding or not and how are you going to ride it. I mean you dont wanna drop alot of money into this if he isnt going to ride it. In that case you can buy a cheap 300ex or blaster and sell it and make out on it pretty good. But if hes going to ride it and grow into it. I mean a 450 would be more than ok. Its a little to much power but its still kinda a whimp compared to the dirtbikes. So he wont kill him self on it. I taught my girlfriend how to ride on my mx trx450r with 50 plus horse power and she didnt know how to shift, brake, or turn it. A year later she will hit a double better than most guys on here. The 400ex is great but its out dated and nobody really wants them anymore so you might have some issues selling it if he out grow it but you can pick them up dirt cheap. Like I said its about money money money. Id go with a cheap 1500 blaster or 300ex

JIM GRACE
12-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Suzuki z 400. Watercooled + reverse
great quad

quadboy-55
12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
when i was 14 i started out on a Z400. its a little more than a 400EX, but it has way better features like piggy back shocks and a liquid cooled DOHC engine, whereas the 400EX is an aircooled single cam. not to mention, the Z400 has a little more spunk to it.

ATVMX33
12-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Z400....

brian76708
12-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by quadboy-55
when i was 14 i started out on a Z400. its a little more than a 400EX, but it has way better features like piggy back shocks and a liquid cooled DOHC engine, whereas the 400EX is an aircooled single cam. not to mention, the Z400 has a little more spunk to it.

you cant beet the reliability and the aftermarket of the 400ex though. and for his age i think the 400ex would be a great choice especially since you can find them dirt cheap now.

XCRacer236
12-19-2009, 11:27 AM
i definitely go with one of the 400's. both are bullet proof and can be worked with A LOT.

fasterblaster09
12-19-2009, 11:36 AM
i'd pick up a cheap 400, im sure you'll have better luck finding a cheap 400ex than a z400

quadboy-55
12-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by brian76708
you cant beet the reliability and the aftermarket of the 400ex though. and for his age i think the 400ex would be a great choice especially since you can find them dirt cheap now.

um, yes you can.

lets take a moment to think about this for a second..... when you bore out a 400EX there is more fuel and air entering for a bigger combustion. the fins on the cylender only cool the engine enough for a 400. there have been issues of a 416 EX melting down. besides, the 400 is dated, the shocks dont even compare to that of a Z400. and the liquid cooled engine doesnt overheat even being a 450.

you can get way more parts for a Z400 than a 400 EX, and the Z has a better resale than a 400EX.

geting a POS 400EX for 500 bucks is one thing, but will never get rid of it. no one will buy it. a Z400 for 2K (very clean '05) will run like new for years to come, and still have plenty of re-sale.

extremeblastr
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
um, yes you can.

lets take a moment to think about this for a second..... when you bore out a 400EX there is more fuel and air entering for a bigger combustion. the fins on the cylender only cool the engine enough for a 400. there have been issues of a 416 EX melting down. besides, the 400 is dated, the shocks dont even compare to that of a Z400. and the liquid cooled engine doesnt overheat even being a 450.

you can get way more parts for a Z400 than a 400 EX, and the Z has a better resale than a 400EX.

geting a POS 400EX for 500 bucks is one thing, but will never get rid of it. no one will buy it. a Z400 for 2K (very clean '05) will run like new for years to come, and still have plenty of re-sale.

just stop now your way off, the z400 is a great choice and it does have plenty of aftermarket but its not even close to the reliability of a 400ex

LTMFB
12-19-2009, 11:56 AM
So why is it hard to sell the 400ex but not the z400?

Ruby Soho
12-19-2009, 11:58 AM
you can also find 450's for cheap these days..

an older 450r or yfz450 wouldn't be a bad idea really. sure its more powerful than a 400 but its not so much a difference that hes going to hurt himself.. hell get used to either one, but he can't really outgrow a 450 because.. well the 450 is pretty much the best you can get these days:p

quadboy-55
12-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
just stop now your way off, the z400 is a great choice and it does have plenty of aftermarket but its not even close to the reliability of a 400ex

oh im sure. becasue liquid cooled DOHC's absolutly suck when put against a pitiful air cooled SOHC.

i dont see you backing your theory up with any evedence.

quadboy-55
12-19-2009, 12:05 PM
just a heads up, you dont see the YFZ450R and DS450XMX comming out with air cooled single cam engines.

do they want them to be unreliable on prupose??? NOT!

Ruby Soho
12-19-2009, 12:09 PM
quadboy i suggest you quit while your ahead..

you need to learn a lot more about engines before you run your mouth.:scary:

k4f5x0r
12-19-2009, 12:09 PM
alright shut up this isnt a which is better topic, its what we beleive is best for his son. so if you cant help then just stop posting.

IMO i would go witha 400ex. ive riddena 400ex and z400, and i like the 400ex's stance much better. plus liquid cooling gets annoying, for just cruising around or in pits id MUCH prefer air cooled over liquid cooled.

tp300ex
12-19-2009, 12:15 PM
400ex would be perfect to learn on i got a 300ex when i was 13 and a year later i needed to upgrade to the 400ex. so save your money and put him on a 400

quadboy-55
12-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
quadboy i suggest you quit while your ahead..

you need to learn a lot more about engines before you run your mouth.:scary:

what more do i need to learn about engines?

enlighten me, im waiting.

ATVMX33
12-19-2009, 12:47 PM
ive been riding my Z400 hard for a few years now and never had any problems that were tough to fix...the only things that ever happened was dirt in the tank and a bolt come loose on the fender bracket so the bracket put a hole in the radiator

i would reccomend getting one over a 450 by far...

deathman53
12-19-2009, 12:55 PM
the 400ex type engine has been around since the early 80's, its closely based on the xr350 and atc350x and it goes back further to atc200x/m/es, so goes with the 185's and big reds. There are alot of those motors that still are on the original piston, only had valves adjusted and oil changed. They are still going strong. I'd love to see a z400 or any 450 do that 25 years later.

Get him a 300ex or 400ex, tons of cheap aftermarket parts for it and you can work those motors a god bit, if you wanted. Most of the 400ex's and such aren't running on stock shocks anymore, so the better shocks stuff is garbage. Its hard to melt-down a air-cooled motor, yes, when you put a 80 over bore(416) or 120 over(426), combining that 12:1 and greater compression or even a 440, its gonna run hot. Stop letting the liquid cooled new technology(more BS, its been around in street bikes since the early 90's) ruling you.

kfx400rider03
12-19-2009, 01:05 PM
i would go with a z/kfx 400

my dad got one when i was 12 "in 2003" he let me ride it once and i never gave it back to him. i went from a little honda 90 to that and loved it. i rode it more than him. then 2 years later he gave it to me which i rode that for another 2 years realy good machine never had a problem with it. then i wanted to get in to racing and my dad said he would help me pay for a ltr if i would sell the kfx so he couldr ride it again.

brian76708
12-19-2009, 01:59 PM
um, yes you can.

wow you definitely took that wrong way and strayed far from what i was implying . Have you forgot what forum you are on? This forum all started because of the 400ex. I will spare you the embarrassment of a actual reply and if you want one you can PM just leave it out of this thread.

I agree with others any 400 will do but i would advise against a 300ex as i believe he would outgrow it quickly and the power of a 400 is very tame and manageable.

bustedknuckle
12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
OK. ill give you a little background.ive been a atv instructor.for many years.my kids also have raced nats for several years. they have been in the top ten nationaly .there are several things to think about.has he ever ridden ? how much does he weigh?.how tall is he ?.i started my kids on smaller quads first. then move them up. i would put him on a honda 300 ex.its a great starter.as he gets better,you can bring up the hp.most states have laws about younger riders.they only can ride a quad that is proper for his age.just my two cents.

derekhonda
12-19-2009, 04:09 PM
um, yes you can.

Ok, I'm just going to argue everything you said because it's all lies.

I'm yet to hereabout a 400ex melting down, modified or not.

You CAN NOT get way more parts for a z400. Period.

buy a 400ex for 500 bucks and never be able to resell it? There's always a buyer bud. I'll go buy every 400ex i can for $500 bucks and retire a few years early, please show me where all those incredible deals are because I will.

derekhonda
12-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by LTMFB
So we're going to get my son into quads. I just bought a 08 DS450x and was wondering what you all thought was TOO MUCH for a new rider. I think he'll pick it up quick so I don't want to have to buy again next summer if he outgrows a 250.

So is a 400ex too much for him cause I can get a used 400ex for fairly cheap as opposed to a raptor 250.....

TIA for the input

To answer your question and get away from all the bickering. A 400ex is a very tame machine, and a blast, and on top of everything, very very reliable. I would have no second thoughts on putting a 14 year old on a 400. A raptor 250 might be a little bit easier to learn on, but as you have already figured out, he will soon out grow it.

You won't go wrong with a suzuki 400 or a kawasaki 400 either, they are great machines, but are still a little pricier as they are newer and have a couple of upgrades over the ex. You can't go wrong with a 400 whatever...you just need to decide your budget and then that will probably be your deciding factor. Good luck.

atvnut22
12-19-2009, 04:57 PM
ive rode both the z400 and 400ex, and i would take the 400ex's handling over the z400 liquid cooled motor. the z400 fell like your riding a boulder. the ex is definatley more comforatable to me

quadboy-55
12-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Ok, I'm just going to argue everything you said because it's all lies.

I'm yet to hereabout a 400ex melting down, modified or not.

You CAN NOT get way more parts for a z400. Period.

buy a 400ex for 500 bucks and never be able to resell it? There's always a buyer bud. I'll go buy every 400ex i can for $500 bucks and retire a few years early, please show me where all those incredible deals are because I will.

kijiji has them for cheap. mabey not for 500, but i have seen them for 800-1200.

i dont care how many parts you can get for a 400EX, a Z will still be better.

and yes a 416 EX can overheat, just read the dialed in section of Dirtwheels and ATVAction. there have been quite a few.

and yes, i know that i kindof drifted far from the topic, but i was proving a point. and remember, he was looking into a DS450 aswell. a 2K LT-Z 400 will deffinatly be more worth your while than a 400EX.

becasue prices arent too far off from quad to quad, id say get a raptor 700. stock, it has more of a mellow powerplant, and only 1HP more than a YFZ. it doesnt rev as quick as a YFZ because of a longer stroke, so its a little more user friendly than a YFZ.

hondariderdylan
12-19-2009, 05:02 PM

crap statement, at least back yourself up with some info on why.

kfx400rider03
12-19-2009, 05:17 PM
lol
some one just made a thread today about whats going on in this one. everything he said was basicly true

heres the thread
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=421123

quadrcr161
12-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by bustedknuckle
OK. ill give you a little background.ive been a atv instructor.for many years.my kids also have raced nats for several years. they have been in the top ten nationaly .there are several things to think about.has he ever ridden ? how much does he weigh?.how tall is he ?.i started my kids on smaller quads first. then move them up. i would put him on a honda 300 ex.its a great starter.as he gets better,you can bring up the hp.most states have laws about younger riders.they only can ride a quad that is proper for his age.just my two cents.

thats the best post of the thread, its all about if he can mentally and physically handle the atv. if he has never ridden before and this is his 1st atv, IMO the 400's are a poor choice. look at a 300ex or the newer 250ex with the clutch for him to learn on.

and quaddude or what ever, you need to stop posting, go actually hang around more atv's, and learn a lot more before you give advise.

derekhonda
12-19-2009, 05:45 PM
kijiji has them for cheap. mabey not for 500, but i have seen them for 800-1200.

and yes a 416 EX can overheat, just read the dialed in section of Dirtwheels and ATVAction. there have been quite a few.

and yes, i know that i kindof drifted far from the topic, but i was proving a point. and remember, he was looking into a DS450 aswell. a 2K LT-Z 400 will deffinatly be more worth your while than a 400EX.

becasue prices arent too far off from quad to quad, id say get a raptor 700. stock, it has more of a mellow powerplant, and only 1HP more than a YFZ. it doesnt rev as quick as a YFZ because of a longer stroke, so its a little more user friendly than a YFZ.
Ok, so you already exxagerated on the price, I wonder what else you exxagerated on.

Plus, he isn't talking about a 416 or a 440, idiot. He's talking about a 400ex, which in their stock form, is virtually indestructable.

Furthermore, you are dumb. "becasue prices arent too far off from quad to quad, id say get a raptor 700" Have you already forgotten this is for a 14 year old that has limited to no riding experience. More HP doesn't automatically mean a better quad. Im quite happy with a 400ex, perhaps thats why I've owned 20 + of them.

440racer66
12-19-2009, 07:59 PM
they are perfect find a good ex they are bullet proof. my firstride was a 440. they are great to learn the fundemental riding skills on.

tri5ron
12-19-2009, 08:32 PM
what more do i need to learn about engines?

enlighten me, im waiting. DUDE ! Who pissed in your wheaties today ?!?!?
give it a rest.

and to LTMFB,
To directly answer your original question,
depending on your son's abilities, and your time you spend with him, a 400 would be fine for him.
easy to learn on, easy to ride, easy to maintain, TONS of stuff you can do to enhance performance, practically bulletproof, and plenty fast for everything other than winning championships.

any of the 400's are a good choice. I tend to go with the time proven reliability of the EX, but the others are a good choice too.

quadboy-55
12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
crap statement, at least back yourself up with some info on why.

oh my god! are you retarted??????? i already mensioned that.

piggy back shocks = better handeling. plus offer more adjustability as who evers son it is progresses in riding. way better than 5 way preload. want me to write a book or leave it at that?

next, liquid cooling is a by far better method that air cooling. it is LESS likely to over heat. unless you are so brain dea you arent on top of your maintenance. in wich case you shouldnt even be on a quad.

have you not sat on the Z400? the T shaped seat is awsome on the behind.

next, as for maintenance. if your buying an early model 400EX then you gotts take of the whole god danm rear plastic just to reach the airbox. i think there goes another point to the Z.

stock for stock, both machines are pretty danm bullet proof.

one more thing, a 700 doesnt rev as quick as a 400-450. thats why i reccomend it. its not hard to ride. but if you kids are so worried about him starting off on a 700, then a 400 and a 450 would be a dumbass desision too. especally becasue they still rev fast. if he has half of a mind he will know not to pin it.

tri5ron
12-19-2009, 09:25 PM
oh my god! are you retarted??????? i already mensioned that.

piggy back shocks = better handeling. plus offer more adjustability as who evers son it is progresses in riding. way better than 5 way preload. want me to write a book or leave it at that?

next, liquid cooling is a by far better method that air cooling. it is LESS likely to over heat. unless you are so brain dea you arent on top of your maintenance. in wich case you shouldnt even be on a quad.

have you not sat on the Z400? the T shaped seat is awsome on the behind.

next, as for maintenance. if your buying an early model 400EX then you gotts take of the whole god danm rear plastic just to reach the airbox. i think there goes another point to the Z.

stock for stock, both machines are pretty danm bullet proof.

one more thing, a 700 doesnt rev as quick as a 400-450. thats why i reccomend it. its not hard to ride. but if you kids are so worried about him starting off on a 700, then a 400 and a 450 would be a dumbass desision too. especally becasue they still rev fast. if he has half of a mind he will know not to pin it. You sir, are an A $ $