PDA

View Full Version : est way ti source crf450 engine

quadfmx
12-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Should i buy a bike and part out the dirt bike, im kinda scared to buy a motor i cant test from someone i dont know,
how do you come out on the part out?
what year is the best crf450
i inow the older ones are cheaper but i wanted to know if some of the newer ones were faster?

i also hated to get just the engine and then need other parts off the bike towards the end, could someone lend me some adv

deathman53
12-19-2009, 04:40 AM
I'd get the whole bike, its cheaper, usually. The cost for the carb, wiring, motor mount bolt, coil and such will get expensive quick. As for year? Thats anybodies guess, the newer you would think has less hours on it(not always true). If you buy a 05 or older, plan on re-doing the valve trane right away. I'm using a 03 for my hybrid(rebuilt valve trane) and I will be using a 05 for my atc hybrid. The quad hybrid will get modified to accept the 05 motor in the future also, atc hybrid will be able to accept 03 motor also. Its the bottom motor mount thats different between 02-04 and 05+. Its wider on a 05+, it doesn't matter on the dirtbike, as there was a spacer that gets deleted/changed for the different years.

ss440ex
12-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Years back I was placing the Yamaha yz426 engine into the Honda 400ex.

I would buy the bike check it out..ride it for a few days/hours.
(A dirt bike geek for a short time)
Then start the dissambly.

That way you can ck it all out, have all parts needed ,
then part out.

Even after buying a $50.00 250r radiator, I usally came out ahead a few $100.00

Its a little work but go for it!

Good luck.

deathman53
12-19-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm insulted being called a "dirtbike geek", those are what I ride the majority of the time.....................j/k. To ride a dirtbike you have to have new form of respect for the machine, it will hurt you alot quicker and easier. They have more power than the quad and 1/3 to 1/2 the weight. Even if you break even between buying the whole bike and buying parts here and there, buy the bike, then you have all the parts you will need and some that you don't expect to need. Also if you are twist throttle person, there is nothing better than the stock honda twists. And you ride it before, its much easier to rebuild a motor outside of the chassis, than into it. I don't know about you, if my clutch is slipping some, its noticeable on the dirtbike and you know to replace it, if you let it slip on the quad, it could be alot wosre.

quadfmx
12-20-2009, 12:08 AM
okay so i had already half way decided to buy they bike i could us the brake calipers among other things

So if i bouht ab 02-04 id expect a top end in te bear future ike immediately, but i liked the odea of being sbleto ride it befire choosing the motor

next question 02 /04 or 05+ and when do they change again after05
im going to run a walsh chassis so i was sure they could make either year work,

is one style more reliable or owerfull or if there any pros to go for one year over abother b/c the older ones are cheaoerl
but i thought i could find one someone didn have tine to ride but which is the better esr

Rootar
12-20-2009, 12:54 AM
05-08 has the best electronics...

Rootar
12-20-2009, 07:57 PM
also clean out your mailbox! you can call me at 903-733-3902 i tried to call your cell but i guess you got a new number.

thanks

ross