PDA

View Full Version : Hour Meter

Scott Quintrell
12-18-2009, 10:36 PM
As I'm new to the Can Am DS 450 bike, I would like to fit a hour meter. Im little confused to which spark plug to fit it too. Can anyone tell me how the twin spark plug works.

This is a great Forum as I'm learning Heaps from this site, As I'm living in a quite remote area of Australia.

TNT
12-19-2009, 06:26 PM
We've never had much luck with them, but I beleive both coils fire the plugs w/the same step-up coil voltage at the same time so either should do it. I think all they do is pick up a frequency pulse from the plug wire that translates to a hour output from a time line in the board program, same time line(clock) the frequency of the coil sends to the plug.....

Since you like to learn theres a little more than you needed to know. :D

Scott Quintrell
12-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks TNT, I have been reading most of your replys and who needs a Dealership when we have you on this forum. you must have alot Knowledge on these Can-am's

The only problem I had is the bolts on the rear sprocket kept coming loose and a coolant leak on the motor (1/4" hose ) which I had to change to a better clamp.

I have just done the pink wire, Air Box Lid, and the S/A on the exhaust. You really know the difference. I'm waiting for my Manual and they reckon I won't receive it to the end of February, thats why I want to put a hour meter on it so don't go over the ten hours for the Valve clearances and oil changes as I'm too far away from the Dealership (1500 Miles away)

TNT
12-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks, I understand......We normally just watch our oil for dirt, the recommended 10hr or intervals are just a guide so if you push your quad hard or ride in dusty conditions, etc you’ll want to change it more often and keep an eye on it. The viscosity will hold much longer than 10 ours it boils down to sludge and dirt that can harm your engine. Some use sythetics that still get dirty, we use one I just can’t think of the name right now, but it really has helped our clutch life and we are seeing incredible 09 clutch life on the DS so far despite the 08 issues....Theres also a sump filter at the bottom that after the initial wear in needs to be cleaned, but it requires splitting the cases then the engine will have a much longer life. Can’t remember if theres a stock magnetic plug think so, but they are good to watch. If you find shaving’s or a little nozzle attached to it like we did well thats a bad sign lol, some of the cylinder/rod oil squirter nozzles have been breaking we epoxied ours in. I think you can get to it with the top end off next time you may want to do that to be safe since it can ruin some expensive gears if it breaks.

Yeah I think it’s a good idea to red lock tight bigger bolts and blue lock tight smaller ones. Probably a good idea to check them but most have found the valves clearance is good after ten hours, you should be able to hear them when the gaps are getting big.

Only other reason I can think of an hour meter coming in handy is for top end changes....we usually go off power loss and can tell. It’s better to get to the rings early to prevent the piston from slapping the cyl walls and causing the expense of a new one from nickle plating loss and gouges. We change the rings often about every 3-4 hours during the race season oil too, and especially if you ever run a high compression piston to keep the power up.

Theres a few tips just incase you don’t get that hour meter to work Good luck!

Scott Quintrell
12-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks TNT, Very good information if you think of that oil drop us a line as I'm very interested, especially if you get better life out of the clutch plates

TNT
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Scott I asked my son it's Motorex Top Speed Fully Synthetic, a little pricey but it's worth it imo....theres others like Mobile 1, etc, you just got to find what works in your quad best.