PDA

View Full Version : can i just through in a new piston and rings?

woodsracer144
12-18-2009, 05:59 PM
hey, i have a 88 cylinder that is at 69.0118mm could i just hone it and throw in a new piston and rings? i dont have any scraches i could feel with my finger nail...

siderbox
12-18-2009, 06:44 PM
I've done it before. It'll work.
It's not the most ideal thing to do.
You'll want a piston that will give you around .003" or so piston to wall clearance.
Something else to do if you haven't done it already.
Is to measure you cylinder in 3 or 4 places strait up and down, in at least 3 places.
Make sense?

mcarlson1
12-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by siderbox
I've done it before. It'll work.
It's not the most ideal thing to do.
You'll want a piston that will give you around .003" or so piston to wall clearance.
Something else to do if you haven't done it already.
Is to measure you cylinder in 3 or 4 places strait up and down, in at least 3 places.
Make sense?

:confused: come again?????? Can you explain a little more? What does doing this do, what exactly do you do? Im in the same boat with my cylinder right now as well.

Thanks,
Mike

86 Quad R
12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
measuring as mentioned, insures that the bore isnt egged or tapered.
as long as it measures to spec and the piston to bore minimum is acheived, it will work. provided the finish is good on the cylinder.:cool:

IcutMetl
12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
What he means is to measure at 2-3 locations down the bore to measure for taper; then repeat that same measurement at 45 then 90degrees or so to measure for out of roundness. It really should be measured by an inside micrometer, snap gages, etc...instead of a dial caliper or similar tool; they're not exactly the first pick when you need 100% accuracy. If you're in question, any local machine shop can do it for you.

latheboy
12-18-2009, 09:40 PM
take it to a shop and have it measured with a dial bore gage. Its the best way to measure within .0002 of an inch. Also, being a machinest, I would meaure the actual piston you are attempting to mate with the cylinder. Every individual piston is a different size.

woodsracer144
12-18-2009, 09:57 PM
i had it done at a shop... its the only guy i trust local to touch my stuff... hes a good friend as well.. it was 2.717 inches so that turns out to be a 69.0118...

siderbox
12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i had it done at a shop... its the only guy i trust local to touch my stuff... hes a good friend as well.. it was 2.717 inches so that turns out to be a 69.0118...
Did he measure as 86 Quad R and IcutMetl did a great job in explaining?
If you are going to 'hone' and put in a piston. You really need to measure as described.
Did your buddy know that you where planning on hone and piston instead of bore and piston?
If he only measured in one place to get an idea what piston to get in order to bore to that piston. Then you need to have he do it again and let him know you plans.

woodsracer144
12-19-2009, 11:23 AM
yeah he did it right... because i was going to re sleeve it and i could get a good used one for the price of a sleeve job... he did it twice becuase he didnt know if that was right... he didnt think the numbers sounded right but they were...

siderbox
12-19-2009, 11:43 AM
You should be good to go then. Just need to make sure you get good piston to wall clearance.