PDA

View Full Version : CRF250R Valves

One_Bad_400
12-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I think i have to put Exhaust valves in my dirt bike. i think they are sucking up in my head. my question is. do i need to re-cut the ceats? some people say yes and some people say honda makes the ceats out of a strong enough material to not have to worry about re-cutting them? anyone had this experiance in a CRF250R????

thanks

SRH
12-18-2009, 12:44 PM
did u try www.thumpertalk.com ? most of my buddies had to get there seats redone

One_Bad_400
12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
ya i made a post on there a few weeks ago and half said do it and half said dont worry about it

eastside 400
12-18-2009, 04:04 PM
what makes you think they are sucking up, are your valve clearences very low? the problem with the crf's and trx's as well when used with Ti valves is that the seats are actually too hard and not designed for Ti. if you are going to put Ti valves back into your CRF then you should also but a set of copper beryllium seats from xcelidyne too. Or you can get the FactionMX SS valve kit that comes with the proper springs and keep the stock seats, either way the seats need to be cut!

One_Bad_400
12-18-2009, 04:17 PM
i'll adjust them, then after a day they are ~.020 to tight when i check them

eastside 400
12-18-2009, 04:30 PM
i think you mean .002, .020 is not even possible really, but i get what your saying, its up to you on what you want to do, if your seats have enough to cut yet then getting the faction MX SS kit would be cheaper and easier, the other route is putting new copper seats and Ti valves back in it

One_Bad_400
12-18-2009, 11:12 PM
When i adjusted them they had 185 shims in and i put a 165 in it and it ran PERFECT for a whole day, the next day i had to roll start it. i'm going to check them again tomorrow. if they are tight again i guess i need to figure out what valves i want to get.

i was planning on ordering the stock valves. what are the advantages with those valves over OEM? i am sponsored by my local honda shop and only pay a little bit above cost so everything OEM is pretty much half price.

KXRida
12-19-2009, 04:06 AM
yes, the issue with honda's is mainly a material issue. I personally would get the seats cut and new ones put in. If you are getting the feeling they're sucking in the head, don't ride it. If you catch it early, you'll be fine, if not you'll be buying a new head.

eastside 400
12-19-2009, 11:33 AM
cutting the seats will not do anything for it really though, if your going to keep Ti valves in it then you need copper seats! that is the only way to get a reliable long lasting Ti valve setup, you can do the stock valves and just put new seats in it