PDA

View Full Version : Helmets and riding gear?

MtnEX
12-17-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm going to get a new helmet sometime soon, and I've been thinking about getting a full set of riding gear when I do order.

What out there is good these days?

It's been a long time since I've pulled on full gear... pants, boots and all...

Do a lot of you deck out fully every ride.
I never do anymore...
It's been so long I don't know what to buy.

I remember having Fox stuff and Scott stuff, and I don't know what else... Oneal? I don't remember much about it... but I don't guess it matters since the quality of stuff changes so much, etc...

The Fox stuff keeps catching my eye, but that might be all looks.... I don't know... and a lot of stuff out these days is black. How are the fabrics now?... Thinking about black being hot....

Anyways, now that I'm older, I'm getting my knees sore. Don't know if it's the facts of life, or if I'm using them more now.... extra body weight, or riding style shifting....

So some pants with a little bit of cushion in the knees would be nice.... for the inner knees and knee caps.

I don't care much about the rest... just want to be comfortable. And on that note, the looser over-the-boot pants seem like they would be nice with a shorter boot... But they all seem to look like zip-offs... which would likely just eat my knees up I'm thinking.

I'm stopping now... thanks for reading... and thanks for your suggestions.

slightlybent47
12-17-2009, 11:52 PM
I wear it all, and wouldn’t have it any other way. If I ride striped down, I’m still wearing a helmet, boots, gloves and leatt brace. Even when it’s 100 degrees I still wear it all. As for the quality of the gear, that’s a hard one to answer. I also wear a pair of bicycle type shorts under the pants. They have pads on the hips and tale bone area and they keep your junk from flopping around. lol!!

Helmet – MSR Assault
Carbon fiber Leatt brace
Thor MX phase pants
Hard Core Racing chest protector
Alpinestars Tec 3 boots
EVS knee pads
Kidney belt from academy, I had a thor but the Velcro stopped gripping. It didn’t last long, I wouldn’t buy another one.

All of which has lasted for the last three years.

bkelley
12-18-2009, 12:51 AM
I've never cared for pants, I usually just wear a pair of jeans. But since you're looking for the added protection and comfort for your knees I would probably consider a pair. I usually just find some of last years models that are on clearance on RMATV. You can get jerseys from $15 to $25 on clearance and pants for less than $40. You can find some gloves for dirt cheap, too.

MSR and Fly make really nice gear and are also a few of the cheaper brands. Fox doesn't seem to be as good as the were in the past, the last jersey I bought feels too thin and cheap. Might be to lessen weight and make for a cooler ride, I don't know. Also, Fox tends to be more expensive as it has always been the flagship brand of MX. As for the helmet, I've always liked Fox helmets, I've got a V2 Pilot and love it, runs a size small though, most Fox helmets do. In short, the clearance section of RMATV is your friend.

Here's some nice MSR 09 Axxis gear, $60 for the whole set:

Pants - $35 (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&navType=closeout&webTypeId=105&prodFamilyId=22993&webCatId=1&navTitle=Apparel-MX%20Gear)
Jersey - $14 (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=closeout&webTypeId=83&navTitle=Apparel-MX+Gear&webCatId=1&prodFamilyId=22994)
Gloves - $10 (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?&navType=closeout&webTypeId=65&prodFamilyId=22995&webCatId=1&navTitle=Apparel-
MX%20Gear)

And these are the boots I'm actually going to be getting:

MSR VX1 ATV Boots - $89 (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/19/219/1073/ITEM/MSR-Racing-VX1-ATV-Boots.aspx)

12-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Zip off cargo style riding pants are the best IMO. Get colors other than white. I have had white on jerseys stained permanantly. I think Fox cheapened their materials in the past years. For jerseys I dont care as much about but pants take more abuse and need to hold up. I have Answer pants and they are still perfect after years of riding. Back in the day I had Thor and really liked their stuff.

mechmatt
12-18-2009, 08:28 AM
They offer package deals. I do not know if it is a better deal but I guess it will give you something to go by when shopping around

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/dept.asp?dept_id=5596&mscssid=4C7CDB25223642A4BE64AC414FD73FE3&Gift=false&GiftID=&navId=5596*0&0=assets%2Fhtml%2Fd_offroad%2Easp%2CnavId%3Dd_offr oad*0%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2COffroad&1=assets%2Fhtml%2Fd_rg_offroad_mens%2Easp%2CnavId% 3Dd_rg_offroad_mens*0%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CM en's

MtnEX
12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
Zip off cargo style riding pants are the best IMO. Get colors other than white. I have had white on jerseys stained permanantly. I think Fox cheapened their materials in the past years. For jerseys I dont care as much about but pants take more abuse and need to hold up. I have Answer pants and they are still perfect after years of riding. Back in the day I had Thor and really liked their stuff.

Cargo is totally more my natural style.
That is for sure.... I like breathing room and pockets.

I've just feared the zip-off seam would be rough on the knees.
So they are not a problem?

92SiKoTiC
12-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I have some 08 No Feat Combat pants that are cargo style that zip off. There not rough on my knees and have lasted a little over a year. They held up great until I slid down a hardtop in em. That only split my seen in the butt though. Other than that there holding up good for me.

KISSmyACE
12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I like Fox riding gear and 661 protection. Their gear holds up really well and looks good too.

When I ride I wear full gear always... fox socks, 661 evo knee, fox pants, fox jersey, fox chest pro, 661 helmet, 661 gloves.

My next purchase will be a Leatt brace.

bkelley
12-18-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't know, it just seems like my newest Fox jersey is really thin and cheap. Especially for the price I paid for it. Fly makes some of the best jerseys, in my opinion, at decent prices.

J.Brown121
12-18-2009, 03:01 PM
i have thor phase pants and jersey
thor boots
thor force helmet and
the adventure leatt brace.

i would reccomend the thor products for sure. they've held up great for me

CJM
12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I tried gear way back when and just dont like the jersey, boots and such. Pants are ok, I have some scott ones I nabbed from ebay like 5 years back that are a bit beat up but work. I usually just wear jeans tho

I wear work boots too, laugh if you want but they work for me quite well.

Rkangel7
12-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Cargo is totally more my natural style.
That is for sure.... I like breathing room and pockets.

I've just feared the zip-off seam would be rough on the knees.
So they are not a problem?

I wear Shift Recon pants, which are over the boot, zip off. They are comfortable pants, but the zipper did rub my knees raw the first ride. Since then I've been wearing taller socks or some sort of base-layer and have no problems. If I was to go for another pair of pants from Shift, I'd get the Squadron pants. They are a little higher end than the Recon. They have full lining (including the zip off sections), larger heat protection for the right leg, and velcro adjustment at the ankle to help sinch around the boot.

spearman_929
12-19-2009, 12:18 AM
i almost always wear all my gear unless im playin with my 4x4 friends but always wear boots cloves and helmet. when i do ride hard tho i wear volleyball knee pads they help from rubbing when riding agressive. as for brands almost all are good just find what fits right and is comfy. all my stuff is mix matched but for me its not a style comp its for protection.