PDA

View Full Version : z400 top end noise

z400rider03
12-17-2009, 08:13 PM
I got a 2003 z400 about two weeks ago and it seems to be making a lot of top end clicking noise. I know these motors are known for top end noise, but this seems especially loud to all the others i've heard. Would a valve adjustment or manual timing chain tensioner solve this?

2muchquad
12-17-2009, 10:54 PM
timing chain is probably stretched,time for a new one.i drilled out my stock tensioner and tapped it for a bolt with 2 locknuts.Im gonna replace my chain too but im being lazy so the bolt made it quiet again but i know mine is shot.I got a ride at the indoor mx after Xmas then ill tear it down.Dont do what i did your better off replacing it before it breaks,disregard my bad habits:D

z400rider03
12-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Ok thanks. Do you think it could be the valves or piston and rings by too?

2muchquad
12-18-2009, 09:40 PM
could be anything but more than likely its the chain,those are notorious for going out on these bikes,the tensioner puts too much tension on them,stretching them prematurely

miles Machine
12-20-2009, 05:14 PM
an easy way to see if you cam chain is shot is to first take the center bolt of the cam chain tensioner out, behind that is a spring take that out as well, then remove the 2 allen heads that hold the tensioners body on the the engine. pull it out being careful not to damage the gasket. once its out youl notice that it has teeth on the underside of the piece that stick out of the body going into the engine pull back the prawl and push this back in resetting it (if it does back in without pulling back the prawl then the tensioner is bad) after youve reset it reinstall the body back onto the engine once tight put the spring in then slowly put the center bolt back onto the tensioner body counting the number of clicks you hear.(4 clicks is a brand new chain 12 clicks is the tensioner being maxed out and the chain and or slippers are bad and need to be replaced)

hope this helps
feel free to pm me if you have questions

z400rider03
12-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks that helped a lot. Hopefully tomorrow i'll take a look at it. I'll pm you if I have any trouble

cataway
12-21-2009, 08:11 AM
if you are out of clicks there is a way to get a little more life out of the chain.
take out the ACCT ,take it to some one with a metal lathe and have some metal removed from it base ,seams to me about 3/16 of an inch can be removed, may be more.

miles Machine
12-21-2009, 09:03 AM
or you can buy a rmz450 tensioner thatll give it a lil more