PDA

View Full Version : riding with out the battery?

uchi
12-17-2009, 06:02 PM
wonder if theres a downside to riding with no battery. one of my quads has a dead battery, it basically wont even click to start and i wanna boost it and take it for a spin around my area with a buddy of mine, any downside to riding with no battery?

slightlybent47
12-17-2009, 06:15 PM
As long as it doesn’t have electronic ignition or fuel injection you should be ok.
But if you stall it then you have to push start it again.

uchi
12-17-2009, 06:17 PM
electronic ignition yes, and its carbed. no lights or anything on it either. figured id be fine, wanted to make sure i wouldnt ruin the stator or anything. thanks

slightlybent47
12-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Those stators are pretty small so it might be hard on it I’m not sure on that though.
As long as you don't ride hard or for very long it might be ok. But again I’m not sure. Let’s let some other guys chime in on this one.

nastyrider17
12-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Back when the battery on my 400 died I rode about 25-30 miles of trails. It didn't wreck anything that I know of.

uchi
12-17-2009, 06:54 PM
i think im gonna buy one this weekend. maybe if i finish work work early tomorrow ill go grab one and see if i can avoid the christmas nonesnse rush everywhere. what are your thoughts on the energizer brand batteries?

fishnfergie
12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Riding with no Battery=Bad for sure, I know on outboard boat motors you will fry the stators and the regulator usually with no battery installed.

Riding with dead battery= OK as long as its just dead not internally shorted.

nastyrider17
12-17-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure what kind of battery I have but I got it at walmart for 40$.

coryatver
12-17-2009, 07:11 PM
I have broke my 400ex battery cable off during a race and finished but I definitly would not do it if I had a choice.

As mentioned it will fry the stator and other electronics.

If you do want to remove the battery you need to add a capacitor to the circuit.

79400ex
12-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Is the battery bad. If not just bump start it and see if it will hold a charge. I have done this before.

tri5ron
12-17-2009, 08:40 PM
This applies to cars, motorcycles, boats, etc., that have a charging system.
(It does not apply to lawnmowers, weed-whackers, chainsaws, or other small engine powered items)

Do not remove or disconnect a battery from a running engine.
Do not run an engine without a battery installed and connected.

Think of it as a battery acts something like a "Electricity Filter" or a "Electrical Shock Absorber", to the rest of your electrical systems.

If you do run without a battery, you run the risk of a power surge/spike, that can damage electronics, blow bulbs, fuses, or possibly even burn wires or connectors.

as previously suggested, it is better to run with a dead or low battery, than to run without one at all.

But bear in mind that the stator was never intended to be used as a means to CHARGE a dead battery. It is intended only to MAINTAIN a charge on a good battery.

attempting to CHARGE up a dead battery with the stator puts a much greater amperage load on the stator, and you run the risk of smoking the stator.

nastyrider17
12-17-2009, 08:54 PM
What happens when you smoke the stator?

tri5ron
12-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by nastyrider17
What happens when you smoke the stator? Normally it frys the field wires in the stator windings, and your engine is no longer making it's own electricity.
If you have a strong battery when it frys, then you are supplying the spark to the engine via the battery, and you are basically running on borrowed time.
when the battery runs out of "Juice", the engine dies.

so ultimately, a fried stator = you spend more cash to buy a new one

fasterblaster09
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by nastyrider17
I'm not sure what kind of battery I have but I got it at walmart for 40$.

me too lol. I think its everlast if im not mistaken

nastyrider17
12-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
me too lol. I think its everlast if im not mistaken

Yeah that's it! That was buggin me out.

uchi
12-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for tthe info guys. Ill see what walmart has this week. Ill buy a cheapy for the quad and keep it on the tender while not being used. But as luck would have it I need one for my crotch rocket too. It crapped out at the end of the season. Lol

fishnfergie
12-17-2009, 09:34 PM
You can get a sealed AGM cell battery that comes charged and ready to use for around 55 at most battery warehouses like batteries plus or something.

The AGM are way better, they cannot leak the water because there is no water, they generally last longer, have a larger reserve capacity,higher amp hours, and are better in high shock situations ie. ATVs ,Motorcycles, Boats...

Optima is an example of a car AGM battery

uchi
12-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah what's the deal with that. I've been reading around a bit. Do I need to add the acid and water before I can use it? Does it come with the acid? Seems a little stupid to me.

Not sure if I have a battery place near me ill check the phone book. Thanks

fishnfergie
12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah if you get the one from wally world you must "assemble" it it comes with a packet of stuff and then you add distilled water if I remember right. After that Charge it for 5-6 hours or something...

racer 557
12-17-2009, 09:53 PM
from what i was told u do have to mix the battery and pure water in it every once in awhile sealed is alot better and i was told if you flip it will do something to battery if it not sealed leak or something like that IMO spend the extra 15 for sealed i to have heard they last longer and if you can the stock battery is a good one

slightlybent47
12-17-2009, 09:57 PM
I have a Honda generator and it came with the battery dry and I had to add the chemicals to it. But that also came with the generator. I would think if was a dry battery it would come with a kit with the stuff in it. The kit that came with mine had all the cell fluids in sprat containers.

tri5ron
12-17-2009, 10:30 PM
a couple of things to know when dealing with lead / acid batteries.

The fluid is acid, and is corrosive. avoid all contact with skin or clothing, do not spill or splash when pouring into the cells , wear proper eye protection.

When charging any battery, do so in a well vented area, away from any sparks, flame, or other source of ignition, as they emit hydrogen gasses while charging.
Hydrogen is explosive.

the slower you charge the battery, the better.
a charge rate of 2 amps is recommended, 5 amps is ok, try to avoid 10 or more amps for any length of time, or you run the risk of warping the internal plates, and resluting in a bad "dead" cell.

uchi
12-18-2009, 05:21 AM
if I can find a sealed for 15 or 20 more ill be all over it :)
This is the batt for my pred I need. Funny thing Is I got my 400 just over 5 years ago. And only last winter started charging it weekly and just now started using a tender and its still on the original battery. Lol. Hell my 01 honda crotch rocket just puked the original battery. :)

monkeydude36020
12-19-2009, 07:01 PM
$25 ebay battery... 30*F outside and it fires right up

uchi
12-20-2009, 07:09 AM
i didnt make it out to wally world but i was in canadian tire the other day, they had one and it was one of the mix your own acid batteries. i wont bother with it, ill get a sealed unit, looks like the 1 of the 3 working ones is a sealed battery, the battery from the looks of it is original from 03, my 01 bikes battery is original and its finally dead and the one in the 04 pred is the other dead battery. so seems like sealed ones are the way to go.

and yeah i opened the box up it comes with the stuff needed. with my luck ill crash into something itll come open and burn me or something fun like that, lol

mitchconley
12-26-2009, 01:48 PM
i just replaced my battery about 15 mins ago after having a dead one for a few weeks. i rode around the back yard a few times and i had no problems starting it. oh execpt fot the fact that when i started it, it started smoking so i checked the oil and its bone dry. i have no idea how or why. dont see any oil on the ground in my trailer but idk. i dont think its related though cause mine still started right up and its about 30 degrees out