PDA

View Full Version : dune quad

06raptor700
12-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Is a stock apex or drr 90 going to be a good dune quad or am i going to have to mod it in order for it to climb the dunes? I am trying to figure out what my best move would be by either modding his scramler 90, buying a trx 90 that is already modded or the apex or drr. He does not race but we love going to the dunes and he is getting all he can out of his 90 now. I know there are some duners on here so please guide me in the right direction. thanks Bo

LT80
12-18-2009, 06:31 AM
I've built many motors for the sand.
It seems that a stock machine gets around ok, but as you noticed, not up too many hills.
I think you should mod what you have. IMO, no stock mini will do it in the dunes.
A stock DRR is the best bet for stock but it still isn't going up Olds anytime soon.
It takes thousands of dollars to build a TRX90 (and get the HP you need). Can't see that being cheaper.
Call WRH or Hetrick. :)

JIM GRACE
12-18-2009, 06:38 AM
2 stroke for sure in the dunes.
A drr 90 with a quality pipe and some
clutch adjustments should rip.
Get the skat trak haulers sand tires,very
light And they hook up great.

06raptor700
12-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks, we are running the skat trak gliders now. They seem to rob its power. My concern was spending 700 to mod motor and clutch and who knows how much to give it some sort of suspension and for it still to be lacking. I know the suspension on an apex or drr is great. I have never seen one at the dunes and questioned if it may be cheaper in the long run to go with one of the two. Thanks for your input.

LT80
12-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Buying a suspension would make up the cost difference in a hurry.
If you think the drr/apex suspensions are all that you will neeed, then they are a good choice. The dual a-arm machines are nice.
I sorta feel that shocks may be needed with any option.

The DRR/DRX machines are known to be the fastest out of the box. One reason:: they have a great pipe on it as is.

I take it you go to Lil Sahara? I been there. Plenty of room. I had a great time. :)

06raptor700
12-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by LT80
Buying a suspension would make up the cost difference in a hurry.
If you think the drr/apex suspensions are all that you will neeed, then they are a good choice. The dual a-arm machines are nice.
I sorta feel that shocks may be needed with any option.

The DRR/DRX machines are known to be the fastest out of the box. One reason:: they have a great pipe on it as is.

I take it you go to Lil Sahara? I been there. Plenty of room. I had a great time. :)
We enjoy LS alot,i really do not know that an apex or drr suspension will be all we need. I do know that i feel sorry for him watching him get bounced around on his scrambler.LOL
I enjoy reading these forums and getting help from those that have been there and done that so to speak. Thanks

12-19-2009, 10:23 AM
I know a guy who has a AWSOME quad for sale that will make it up any hill or dune you want it to. And is already a power house 4 stroke Kymco 47 inches wide. If your interested pm me and Ill give you the info. The very best deal of any you will recieve. Thanks

06raptor700
12-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
I know a guy who has a AWSOME quad for sale that will make it up any hill or dune you want it to. And is already a power house 4 stroke Kymco 47 inches wide. If your interested pm me and Ill give you the info. The very best deal of any you will recieve. Thanks Thanks, i received a pm about this quad. Right now i am still thinking 2 stroke

drxracing
12-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
I know a guy who has a AWSOME quad for sale that will make it up any hill or dune you want it to. And is already a power house 4 stroke Kymco 47 inches wide. If your interested pm me and Ill give you the info. The very best deal of any you will recieve. Thanks

Have you been to olds hill or china wall in in glamis CA ? there are big quads that don't make it up those dunes LOL

LT80
12-20-2009, 07:35 AM
I've been told that my motors have been up olds.
I seen China wall. I was too skeered to even try that on my R. :eek2:

Mt 250R is 49" wide.
That kymco must be awfull long.

quadnana7
12-20-2009, 08:42 AM
The Kymco was put in the for sale section and was one of the three Skvarek Kymco's built by Bud Fisher. The 3 all were built the same. This one has one of the National Championship 08 race motors on Jessie's sisters frame. Ran strong for 08 and took the holeshot uphill at Mddy Creek. We traded for it this year and are considering more topend work and lengthening swingarm to race if not sold in the 2010 season. On the dyno, the torque numbers on these built 125's are extremely high. Never been duning, but it would make sense that would be good dune quad. Anyway, here's a pic. Dune or Race?

drxracing
12-20-2009, 11:13 AM
sweet!!

06raptor700
12-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by drxracing
sweet!!
x2!!!