PDA

View Full Version : good smoker?

buck440
12-17-2009, 05:10 PM
i was thinking about getting my dad this smoker for christmas but was wondering if any of you had any experience with this brand?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=401741&pdesc=Smoke_Hollow_38_LP_Gas_Smoker&r=view&from=grid

and has anybody used anything like this before? what's your thoughts:)

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remote-Check-Wireless-Thermometer-Probes/dp/B00004SZ10/ref=pd_sim_dbs_k_3

Pappy
12-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Mine is similiar to the smoker you posted, but it is electric (alot easier to use and I dont run out of LP gas 3/4 way through a batch of jerky)

I also have a larger one that uses charcoal and man its the bomb.....just a unit that has to be babysat all day. I use it mainly for smoking whole roasts or turkeys

To be honest, you can use your oven if jerkey is the goal, but the smokers work very well if you want to do chickens, ducks/geese and turkeys.

The probe unit...you can get them at Sears for $10

buck440
12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
is the smoke flavor noticeable or does it taste like it came out of the oven/no smoke flavor cause it'll be seeing alot of pork butt, chicken, and ribs. and you can get the same exact digital wireless unit for around $10:confused:

Pappy
12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
You have to learn how to cook with smoke, but yes, when done properly it is unbeatable. I prefer my charcoal smoker/cooker as it tends to offer more of a smokey flavor over the electric cooker. Ribs here can take 6 to 8 hours, butts usually go all night and briskets can cook 24 hours or so. It is a very slow process if you like it the way we do! The problem with the one smoker you posted and other similiar sized units is that when used outside ( in a ventilated garage or such) is that they do not get very hot (electric models) The LP gas units should be better but my geuss is that you will be babysitting it as well until you learn how it cooks and at what rate. We use our electric model for smoking fish, the charcoal unit for smaller cuts and my big charcoal smoker/cooker for big cuts. For jerky, we use the house oven and add a touch of Liquid Smoke to the marinade. For smoked snack sticks, we use the E-smoker for 6 or 8 hours at a very cool temp, then finish them in the house oven.

I have been wanting to build a real smoke house for a few years now but havent gotten around to it. I would like to be able to butcher a hog and smoke my own hams.

And yes, shop Sears and Bed Bath and Beyond for the probe thermometers.....$39 is high. I bet you can find the double probe units for $24, singles around $15

Pappy
12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
And thanks...now I am hungry:blah:

tri5ron
12-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Pappy, it looks like you have FAR too many of those ^^^^^
I can send you my address and a postage stamp if you like.
:D :D :D