PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars jiggle

f4iracer
12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Hey all, i just got back from a great day of trail riding! I noticed while i was pulling the quad on the trailer that the bars had some play.

If you stand on the pegs while on teh quad and pull straight up on the bars u can feel a little bit of looseness. I mean you have to pull kinda hard and you just pull up and can feel just a very slight looseness in something.

Do you think i should check the steering steem bolts up at the top? i know my bars aren't loose cuz i've already checked that. The steering stem is mint as is the quad, nothing has been bent.

just wondering what the first thing i need to check is, i'm gonna try to tighten those 2 big tree clams on the top o fthe stem under the bars.

thanks in advance for any advice

hilltop_83
12-17-2009, 06:07 PM
it sounds like the nut on the bottom of your stem is loose. Check that cause that happened to the 400ex i used to have.

Scro
12-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by hilltop_83
it sounds like the nut on the bottom of your stem is loose. Check that cause that happened to the 400ex i used to have.

The bearing could also be shot.

f4iracer
12-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Scro
The bearing could also be shot.

The quad is mint, it's only been running for 3 months. I've only had it on the trails twice, i doubt that bearing when shot.

thank you hilltop for the words of advice i'll check that nut, thanks again!

f4iracer
12-18-2009, 10:43 AM
hmm, i tightened eerything down, there are 2 other bolts that i didn't tighten up against the steering stem.

Any ideas guys?

the quad is under warranty but if it's just a nut or bolt i'll fix it

fastredrider44
12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Steering stem bearing. Check it. But there are only a few things that could cause the bars to have an upward motion. The Stem nut, the bearing, the bottom of the clamps, or the top of the clamps. The bolts that hold the stem up top do not have any effect on up and down motion.

f4iracer
12-18-2009, 11:26 AM
it must be the steering stem bearing, the stem nut was tight.

do you think i should take it in to the dealership under warranty? prolly not covered?

fastredrider44
12-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Probably not. If you decide you want to replace it, I'll get the numbers and you can go buy a generic bearing instead of a Honda bearing and save a lot of $ to put one in, and they're easy and quick to change out. No big deal. ;)

f4iracer
12-19-2009, 07:03 AM
i'm gonna take it in first though because it may be covered. If not i'll be back on to ask for advice. Also jiggle is just ever so slight, it's not much movement at all. Is it safe to ride like this?

Scro
12-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I've rode it like that, but it's best to go ahead and change it out.

f4iracer
12-19-2009, 08:44 AM
i'm gonna take it in to the dealership in a few days and have them diagnose