PDA

View Full Version : spaks advance key

Buddha907
12-17-2009, 02:41 PM
i was hoping someone here could tell me what sort of power improvements i can expect by installing a sparks advance key and rev limiter on my 400 right now i have a full yoshimura exhaust with a k and n air filter and am jetted no air box lid

riotact
12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Here you go

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349499&highlight=sparks+advance

Buddha907
12-17-2009, 03:01 PM
excellent walk through and i caught the lean forward referance that answers my power question do you think a rev box is worth the money?

riotact
12-17-2009, 03:18 PM
No because the 400 dosent make enough power in the hight rpm range to justify spending the money on a rev box.Plus with the advance key it seems kind pointless to me to get one.I would spend the money for the rev box on the amr monster coil instead.

Buddha907
12-17-2009, 03:37 PM
riotact your great i do believe finding this site and joining is going to make my quad vastly more enjoyable. have been riding since honda came out with the 110 atc but have never don any mods due to money but now can enjoy tinkering and mild motor work in spare time . thanks again and hope i dont annoy anyone with stupid questions

riotact
12-17-2009, 03:39 PM
No problem :cool:

uchi
12-17-2009, 06:03 PM
ive got the sparks key. personally i dont like it. it sounds different, might even free rev a bit quicker, but overall i feel like ive lost power. if i knew where my stock key was id put that back in

nastyrider17
12-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by uchi
ive got the sparks key. personally i dont like it. it sounds different, might even free rev a bit quicker, but overall i feel like ive lost power. if i knew where my stock key was id put that back in

Did you put it in right?

uchi
12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by nastyrider17
Did you put it in right?

yup. pretty sure it would cause some issues if i had it in wrong. dont get me wrong, it feels like she may have picked up a small bit of top end power but mid range is completely useless

tri5ron
12-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by uchi
yup. pretty sure it would cause some issues if i had it in wrong. dont get me wrong, it feels like she may have picked up a small bit of top end power but mid range is completely useless Something is not right there.
either the key is in backwards,... or the flywheel was not properly rotated forward to contact the notch in the key,...
or there is some other issues going on.

If the key is properly installed, it would have a far greater effect on the low to mid range rpm's.,and not much, if any, effect on the higher rpms, (on a 400ex).

Your quad has other issues you need to investigate and determine.

uchi
12-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Not sure what to tell you bud. Others have experienced the same issues. Might be an elevation thing. Might be a tune. The quad ran hard and strong before the key. Its installed exactly how everyone others key is. Not bacvkwards or upside down. But as I said. A little if any top end and mid range it feels a little weaker. It sounds better and seems to free rev a little faster. But who knows. Ill check my plug again. Last time it had a nice beige color. Maybe ill play with the fuel svrew a little see if it makes a difference.

Dangerous400EX
12-18-2009, 02:42 PM
If you dont hold the flywheel to the left when reinstalling it you will not get the full advance of the key and will not see any of the benefits of the installation

uchi
12-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Yup I know. I followed the directions exactly. Maybe ill yank it out over the winter and try it again. Perhaps I screwed something up. But everything looked like it fit properly and went together nice and smooth

bigbad400
12-20-2009, 07:23 AM
i dont like the thing either. it allows for to much error and too many things can go wrong. floating valves from being over reved (it was still making power thow) it can cause a sound alot like sparknock but has no other symptoms. i didnt like were the best power delivery was at, i like to be able to just blip it a little to climb that steep hill, not full on juice it to the top just to keep it in the power. i never liked 2 strokes for the same reason. i feel like there one slip of the clutch from blowing up. the sparks key made me feel the same way. you had to ride it like a 2 stroke. im sorry but i like lugging it in third and being able to snap the throttle and stand on the grab bar. nothings better than raw power like that. just my opinion.

uchi
12-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
i dont like the thing either. it allows for to much error and too many things can go wrong. floating valves from being over reved (it was still making power thow) it can cause a sound alot like sparknock but has no other symptoms. i didnt like were the best power delivery was at, i like to be able to just blip it a little to climb that steep hill, not full on juice it to the top just to keep it in the power. i never liked 2 strokes for the same reason. i feel like there one slip of the clutch from blowing up. the sparks key made me feel the same way. you had to ride it like a 2 stroke. im sorry but i like lugging it in third and being able to snap the throttle and stand on the grab bar. nothings better than raw power like that. just my opinion.

see thats how i feel, even with my -2 +1 gear setup the thing should have alot more pep to it. i might just buy the stock one over winter and stick it back in there and enjoy mid range power again, lol