PDA

View Full Version : screen in the tank

honda400ex2003
12-17-2009, 02:30 PM
hey guys i am just curious to find out if you think this would work to clean out the screen inside the bottom hose on the oil tank. Do you think you could flush it backwards by dumping oil down the line from the motor with the oil plug out and have it come out the bottom? I just had a crazy idea and figured i would throw it past you guys. steve

slightlybent47
12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Come on Steve out of all the advice you put out I would think you of all people could figure that one out. LOL!!!!!
Hehehe, just ragging on you dude.
Why don’t you just remove the tank and flush it? Might be the easiest way.

Pipeless416
12-17-2009, 04:34 PM
good idea, but oil won't flow quickly enough to actually flush anything out. i use kerosene every once in a while to do this. i also take out the screen and splash it around in a little bowl of kerosene until its clean. this along with a magnetic drain plug work wonders. i can't wait till i can switch back to synthetic oil though.. its unbelievable how dirty and sludgy an engine can get with conventional.

slightlybent47
12-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I’ve never checked mine, I have a oversized oil tank and you have to almost remove the motor to take it off. But then again I never go more then about 6 hours before an oil change. My oil still looks pretty clean when I change it.

honda400ex2003
12-17-2009, 09:33 PM
i have never done mine but i thought about it after i got done with my thermo test today. lol. thanks for the info, next oil change i may have to try it with some thin oil or kerosene. steve

MtnEX
12-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Just take it out and clean it.
It's not that hard.

It took me until the second shot at it to get mine done.... because I said f-it the first time because it was so tight.

In my opinion it is only worthwhile to do if you bought it used.... or you are sloppy... or you lost a dipstick... or you had engine work done...

Otherwise it has been a waste of time for me.

I won't do it again unless I let trash in the tank, or I have engine work done.

honda400ex2003
12-17-2009, 10:48 PM
i guess i am not too worried about doing it, i dont get anything in the oil or any pieces anywhere in any of the other filters on the machine so i guess if i get time some time and feel like doing it i will. i just had a crazy idea on how to do it, so i didnt have to take the lines off at the tank since i know they are on there really tight. lol. steve