PDA

View Full Version : North/South series (Doomed?)

Logan #34's Dad
12-16-2009, 11:06 PM
OKAY Fellas, I've got to sound off on this a little.
The structure states that a rider must attend ALL six to be eligible for that divisions awards. I contacted the AMA-ATV people and she reiterated that a rider MUST attend ALL six races.
I think this is absolutely dumb! So, what they are saying is, if a rider wins 5 races and can't get to the sixth he will be beat by a rider who finishes 10th at ALL six races. That makes NO sense. I believe that will hurt the turnout (and thats what this was meant to help - more riders in this tough economic times). SO, if we dnf at four of the six races we will finish ahead of the ones that did not attend all six? Again, dumb.
Why not add whatever accumulated points earned in the six races together and that be that division finishing order? I recall some people saying they may be able to chase one of those titles instead of the complete National title. Now, if they miss one of the first couple or know they can't make one of the six - why bother going at all. Again, hurting numbers AND the reason for the North/South series.
If you agree with me, please e-mail the AMA-ATV and voice your opinion. It is a simple press release for them to make or to clear things up. AND, we are not talking about just mini's, it's all classes.
I believe the idea is doomed before it begins. Then they are gonna say "I told you so".
Rocky Dusenberry

gimp419
12-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree. you have 3 throw outs in the National series why not have at least 1 in the north/south challenge. The ITP Grand Slam in 08 they just went by points and there was no minimum # of events you had to attend.

Logan #34's Dad
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't even care about "allowing" drops. He with the most points wins. Kinda like Nascar, if you fail to qualify you lose ground on the leader BUT your still in the hunt.
It should not be this difficult. Common Sense.

The idea for this was to get more riders to the series even if they only chase a Division Title. Now, IMO, if you can't make one of the six races then why go at all even if you could win five others.

gimp419
12-17-2009, 01:25 PM
It's all about the money. Make the riders come to 6 rounds plain and simple. Promoters feel they can make more $ this way. In a perfect world they would have done this for the riders. But it's not a perfect world so if you want to run the north south challenge you're gonna have to run 6 rounds. Yes it stinks but at least it's a step in the right direction!

motomxman450
12-19-2009, 08:57 PM
is this for the 2010 season? I thought it was just a proposal and it happens too late to effect the 2010 season????? Please reply

Logan #34's Dad
12-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Yep. For this season.
www.atvmotocross.com

motomxman450
12-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Wow .... So stupid. What's the chance we can change it back? I totaly agree with what is being said above.

motomxman450
12-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Hey man idk what your ideas were but I think we should run the whole thing like last year just throw in a couple more drops so you don't have to go to all of them, the challenge is so stupid, if it were in effect last year I would have been screwed crashes led me to miss one race and then got in an accident going to red bud but still finished 4th . But now you wouldn't even qualify??? STUPID

Logan #34's Dad
12-20-2009, 02:39 PM
It IS for 2010. I'm not sure if some of you guys got the idea. I'll try to explain and not confuse you.
Ok, the National series is the exact same as last year. The ama has put in another series INSIDE the National series. So, the idea is to try to get more riders to the nationals. Those that cannot afford to compete on the full national schedule can choose the do the North or South series. You will still have to race against the "circus" that follow the whole circuit. So, a rider who runs them all could win the North, South and the National title.
My problem with this is that they force you to run ALL six in a series to be eligible for year end awards for that series. If you can run 6 then why not do two more and contend for the overall title too? If you win 5 races out of the mandatory 6 and miss the sixth you are not eligible to be scored for that series. Remember, your points are counted towards the overall National Championship.
Hope that makes sense.

motomxman450
12-20-2009, 05:04 PM
oh man thanks for clearing that up.... so its just like last year but you can go for a series championship and a national too oh ok i got it i thought it was just the north or south thing