PDA

View Full Version : oil leak out of small hole on cylinder

05ltz400nc
12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
i have a 2005 ltz-400 and it has a oil leak out of the left hand side of the cylinder (sitting on the atv) there is a small hole there. it is a factory hole. looks like a weep hole of some kind. what is that hole for? why is it leaking oil? i just got the atv and i need some advice about the oil leak

cataway
12-17-2009, 03:33 AM
that hole gos to the spark plug ,its there to let water out .

its all so a go way to blow air into to get any dirt out that could

fall into the cylinder when the spark plug is removed

05ltz400nc
12-17-2009, 07:39 AM
why would oil be leaking out?

cataway
12-17-2009, 09:07 AM
can you remove the gas tank so you can look down into the hole were the spark plug gos?
i want to know if there is much oil in the hole .
does the boot have oil on it like some oil got spilled on it .
BTW there are oil lines on top of the engine ,one of the lines may have a hole in it and its dripping on to the head.

05ltz400nc
12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
the hole is on the side of the cylinder, between the head gasket and the valve cover, left hand side when u are sitting on the atv. almost in the middle

cataway
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
yes i know , please read again
can you remove the gas tank so you can look down into the hole were the spark plug gos?
i want to know if there is much oil in the hole .
does the boot have oil on it like some oil got spilled on it .
BTW there are oil lines on top of the engine ,one of the lines may have a hole in it and its dripping on to the head.

wykyd450R
12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
If it is leaking out of the hole, its more than likely the rubber ring that selas the spark plug hole off under the valve cover. If its damaged, it will allow oil thats in the cover to seep into the plug chamber.

dw0095
12-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Same thing happened to me the other day...kinda. I put some sta-bil in the tank and was running it through the carb...stalled and it sat for about a week. Got it to fire in the freakish cold yesterday and had little white smoke rings coming out of that hole with some overflow gas I thought. I don't think oil could ever come out of that hole. got ride of that gas and put fresh in, no more leaking hole, starts right up. Smoke is gone.

NEVER USING STABIL IN ANY OF MY MACHINES AGAIN!

jefteland
12-20-2009, 11:35 AM
its your cam cover gasket leaking a bit in the area of the spark plug. just replace the gasket.