PDA

View Full Version : Getting screwed and calling police (parts related)

250Renvy
12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
A couple of recent threads have come up in the 250R forum that sparked my curiosity for a general consensus.

When you buy or sell something on the forums/ebay or craigslist and you pay for something and don't receive it and ebay/paypal doesn't back you up, how much is an appropriate amount to involve the police?

The basis for calling the police is that it is theft, but how much does it have to be for them to care?

I have called the police a few times ranging from $500 to $2200 and had amicable results.

I'm wondering if it was $250 or less if they would do anything?

derekhonda
12-16-2009, 07:11 PM
It's still mail fraud. You are right, the guy losing a grand and the guy losing 20 bucks might be difference, but I would still persue it.

tri5ron
12-16-2009, 09:30 PM
This is not directly an answer to your original question, but it is related.
An easy way to find out where a guy like that lives, is to set up a seperate account, with a different ebay user name. Then go onto another one of his auctions, and place a winning bid. (dont worry about how much you bid, just bid it high enough that you know you will win).
Once you win, contact the seller, and tell him that you do not use paypal, and that you do not trust or do electronic money transfers over the internet.
Tell him that you only deal cashiers checks, and you will be happy to mail it to him certified overnight mail, recipiant signature required, at your cost.

in all probability, he will be salavating at the idea of getting the cash, and he will send you his address and name.
(remember, he dosen't know it's you, who he has already screwed over).

Then send him a certified letter, containing a picture of handcuffs, and your original ebay item that he screwed you for. include a note claiming that you have notified the local post office of his mail fraud, as well as the local police department's fraud unit.

you might be surprised how fast your paypal account will recieve a refund.

then of course, there is also the alternative,
"Guido and Bruno Collection Agents"

good luck