PDA

View Full Version : remington 870 hd shoot 3.5 mag?

buck440
12-16-2009, 03:20 PM
can a remington 870 hd that is suppose to shoot 2.75 or 3 in shells shoot 3.5 in shells with a diff barrell or is the receiver not fit for 3.5in shells too:confused: simply put what do i need to shoot bigger bullets;)

ben300
12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by buck440
can a remington 870 hd that is suppose to shoot 2.75 or 3 in shells shoot 3.5 in shells with a diff barrell or is the receiver not fit for 3.5in shells too:confused: simply put what do i need to shoot bigger bullets;)

it has nothing to do iwth teh barrel and all to do with the reciever....and 3" or magnum, is only designed to hold 2.75" to 3" shells....that means not only externally, but all the workign mechanisms like teh extractors, ejectors, etc are all designed for those size shells.....if you manage to get a 3.5" shell into the chamber in your reciever, your going to have major problems...

like wise tho, you can swap barrels between the magnum and super magnum....

ben300
12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
also, you dont shoot bullets out of a shotgun, you shoot shot, or slugs...to shoot slugs, you need a special barrel for slugs...if you shoot a slug out of a normal barrel, your going to have bigger problems than if you put a super mag shell in a magnum

...if you want to shoot bullets...but a gun that shoots bullets

One_Bad_400
12-16-2009, 06:33 PM
i'm not really knowledgable on guns, but what would be your problems shooting a slug out of a normal barrel? what makes a slug barrel special?

white tails
12-16-2009, 06:54 PM
a slug barrrel is rifled (it spins the bullet as it goes down the barrel, making it more accurate) a normal barrel is smooth, you can shoot a normal slug out of a normal barrel, but if you try to shoot a rifled slug (sabot slugi s what we use) you will have problems

Now back on topic if you do get a barrel to shoot 3.5 in" shells i am not sure if it will egect right because the slot where you put the shell in wont be long enough to shoot the shell out

bradley300
12-16-2009, 07:21 PM
you can also use rifled slugs in a non rifled barel. its a compromise, better then smooth slugs, not as nice as sabots, but like he said, you need a rifled barell to shoot sabot slugs. you dont run into any problems shooting sabots in a smooth bore, they are just horribly inaccurate as they are designed specificly for rifled barells

Tommy Warren
12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
you need a reciever from an 870 super express magnum....I have a spare reciever but I'm not sending it across the border sorry:ermm:

woodsracer144
12-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ben300
also, you dont shoot bullets out of a shotgun, you shoot shot, or slugs...to shoot slugs, you need a special barrel for slugs...if you shoot a slug out of a normal barrel, your going to have bigger problems than if you put a super mag shell in a magnum

you dont need a special barrel for slugs! you can use a smooth bore or a Rifled barrel... i've use a Smooth Bore 20 ga. deer hunting for years... just dont want a choke in there when you shoot... just a plain smooth bore...

ben300
12-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
you dont need a special barrel for slugs! you can use a smooth bore or a Rifled barrel... i've use a Smooth Bore 20 ga. deer hunting for years... just dont want a choke in there when you shoot... just a plain smooth bore...

i stand corrected.....however..i would buy a slug barrel if you going to shot slugs....

...a family friend of ours had to buy a new barrel off of us because he used a smooth barrel on his 870, and well, the slug never came out of the barrel when it was shot....there could be a million reasons for this happening....

..but also.....you'd never use a socket wrench as a hammer, so why not just buy a slugg barrel, save yourself some problems

backwoodsracer
12-16-2009, 07:57 PM

CORRECTION. you will be fine if you shoot slug's thru a normal barrel. A rifled barrel just gives more accuracy ive shot many deer with slugs thru my benelli with a NON-rifled barrel! back to topic you can put a 3 1/2 but thats how you break and ruin things

ben300
12-16-2009, 08:00 PM
also, even with slugs, if your shooting something out of a choked barrel, you always want to have a choke in....when the maunfacture makes the barrel, the threaded end of hte barrel is ultra thin and can be damaged during the shot..rendering the barrel as junk

woodsracer144
12-16-2009, 08:00 PM
the rifled barrle just makes the shots go more in a group... and not all over the place in close range...

I would shoot bird shot at bunnys and other small game on drives... it doesnt do any damage to the smooth bore...

rhere is a Winchester .22 that they used in WWII for training and its a smooth bore... i have one with a rifled barrle that they also used... that baby is dead on with open sites... i shot a crow about 150-175 yards away! no joke... my buddy was standing behind me... and we both about shi t our selfs....

DEVINF450R
12-16-2009, 08:01 PM
I have patterned and hunted with 3.5 and 3" magnum with steel, bismuth, Hevi-shot, Tungsten, lead, yadda yadda and even use an extended pattern master and i have a slightly better pattern with the 3" and can not tell a noticable difference in killing power from 3" to 3.5" when it comes to ducks.

woodsracer144
12-16-2009, 08:03 PM
also, even with slugs, if your shooting something out of a choked barrel, you always want to have a choke in....when the maunfacture makes the barrel, the threaded end of hte barrel is ultra thin and can be damaged during the shot..rendering the barrel as junk

well i geuss you corrected me also... haha i didnt have a choke able barrle... it was a 870 express i think... it was a old gun... i would look at it but i dont have it here... at the cabin...

ben300
12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
I have patterned and hunted with 3.5 and 3" magnum with steel, bismuth, Hevi-shot, Tungsten, lead, yadda yadda and even use an extended pattern master and i have a slightly better pattern with the 3" and can not tell a noticable difference in killing power from 3" to 3.5" when it comes to ducks.

agreed....i have 2 11-87 super mags and an old 3" 1100 and still use eh 1100 mostly,.....3.5" heavy shot or xpert loads from winchester or black cloud are completely unecessary for hunting ducks..

however...i do like to use the super mags one hunting geese....someting about that xtra shot makes me feel more comfortable..

ben300
12-16-2009, 08:07 PM
well i geuss you corrected me also... haha i didnt have a choke able barrle... it was a 870 express i think... it was a old gun... i would look at it but i dont have it here... at the cabin...

my family sells guns, adn ihave a 1100 premier sporting that i use for skeet...it comes iwht skeet, mod, light mod, ic chokes.....

i only use the skeet choke, and i asked my old mad if i shot it with out the choke if it'd be ok...this was after i got it...he said it would be ok if i wanted to buy a new barrel....so...thats just soem advice.

...but if you have a barrel thats not chocked that comes with teh end already liek an ic or a modified choke..your fine

woodsracer144
12-16-2009, 08:10 PM
my family sells guns, adn ihave a 1100 premier sporting that i use for skeet...it comes iwht skeet, mod, light mod, ic chokes.....

i only use the skeet choke, and i asked my old mad if i shot it with out the choke if it'd be ok...this was after i got it...he said it would be ok if i wanted to buy a new barrel....so...thats just soem advice.

...but if you have a barrel thats not chocked that comes with teh end already liek an ic or a modified choke..your fine

that was hard for me to understand but the barrle doesnt have anything spot for it to have a choke... mind you this is a OLD OLD gun... it was my dads when he was young and hes in his mid 50's now....

ben300
12-16-2009, 08:12 PM
that was hard for me to understand but the barrle doesnt have anything spot for it to have a choke... mind you this is a OLD OLD gun... it was my dads when he was young and hes in his mid 50's now....

sorry..i know..i was saying to myself when i wrote that, that i was ntogoing to make sense

you have a fixed choke gun...that how they used to come all the time...

Pappy
12-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Ducks..Geese...shotguns...can all KIZZMYAZZ!:mad:

woodsracer144
12-16-2009, 08:15 PM
oh... i dont know much about them... all i know is i just shoot what they say on them and trading in guns normally is a joke...

ben300
12-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Ducks..Geese...shotguns...can all KIZZMYAZZ!:mad:

whats the matter pap? seem a littel touchy over the subject:chinese:

Pappy
12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
LOL.....the river is up really high and too dangerous to hunt.....being that its high there are no ducks or geese.....

So they can KMA!!!:p

ben300
12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
LOL.....the river is up really high and too dangerous to hunt.....being that its high there are no ducks or geese.....

So they can KMA!!!:p

..ahh..understandable..

..at least you can get out right now...

bradley300
12-16-2009, 08:24 PM

then that barell was made with the certain choke diameter. to change the choke size, you need to change the barell

Pappy
12-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Its ok.....after this weekend me and wvspeedfreak are going to declare war on some geese and ducks:o

Then the river will go down and I will start WW3 on them birds there.....

And if both of those dont pan out, I will buy my Maryland license and go back to the farm and do what I have done for years...KILL Ducks and Geese:p I was trying to avoid another $150 license and the travel this year:scary:

DEVINF450R
12-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah Im a decent enough shot I can use the pattern master (not trying to brag), its not necessary for ducks but I hate wounding them with steel and the pattern master makes steel alot deadlier. if you miss you miss... i hunt enough I shoot about a case and a half of waterfowl loads a year so, I shoot steel and 3" to save a bit of money... but those 3.5" do give you a bit more confidence hunting geese

Tommy Warren
12-16-2009, 11:35 PM
ever try a 20 guage shell in a 12 guage???

bradley300
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
that was smart

wrekd
12-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
ever try a 20 guage shell in a 12 guage???

I hope you didn't do that :eek2: Thats just stupid. Why can't some people just use the shells the gun is chambered for?? If you want to shoot a bigger round, buy a gun that is able to shoot it. Simple as that.

woodsracer144
12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
no you cant but another gun because then you need to spend more money on another gun... and not the at most 20 bucks for a box of shells...

Tommy Warren
12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by wrekd
I hope you didn't do that :eek2: Thats just stupid. Why can't some people just use the shells the gun is chambered for?? If you want to shoot a bigger round, buy a gun that is able to shoot it. Simple as that.

no it wasn't me..lol...also a 20 guage is smaller than a 12 guage....a 10 or 8 guage would be bigger;)

CannondaleRider
12-17-2009, 01:14 PM
It always amazes me, the people that deal with(and tamper with) firearms.....who have not the slightest clue of how they work, or all the physics and pressures involved.

THAT guy, is an idiot.

OutlawBill
12-17-2009, 01:53 PM
you can not fix stupid but nature can

buck440
12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
holy crap it's like i typed the subject line in yahoo:p alittle bit of diff somewhat related info eveywhere lol, but i see now, i was hoping it would be a simple barrel swap but i guess not:grr: oh well. unless someone has a like new receiver they would be willing to trade for mine???...

wrekd
12-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
no it wasn't me..lol...also a 20 guage is smaller than a 12 guage....a 10 or 8 guage would be bigger;)

Thank god!!

Sorry, I meant that to who ever was talking about stuffing a 3 1/2" mag in a gun only chambered for 3". I mean is it really worth to risk blowing your face off?? Just doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: I knew about the 20/12 gauge thing. I have alot of guns. Just kinda worded it wrong...lol

buck440
12-17-2009, 05:04 PM
just the other day i was loading up the 870 from a bag of shells and accidentally put a 20ga shell in it and went shooting but thankfully it got jammed in it before it got shot...if it would of shot:scary:

ben300
12-17-2009, 08:22 PM
holy crap it's like i typed the subject line in yahoo:p alittle bit of diff somewhat related info eveywhere lol, but i see now, i was hoping it would be a simple barrel swap but i guess not:grr: oh well. unless someone has a like new receiver they would be willing to trade for mine???...

why do you want a 3.5" anyways?

buck440
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
just want more powerful shell i guess:confused: not the best reason but o-well

DEVINF450R
12-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Then shoot lead :D

ben300
12-22-2009, 02:37 PM

a 3.5" shell isnt anymore powefull...it just contains more of a said ammo....thus, greater ability to hit a target

ben300
12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Then shoot lead :D

also, there are shells and loads, that provide greater distance, patterning ability and "knock down power" than lead...

look at some of the offerings from companies like hevi shot, federal (ex black cloud), and then other non lead offereings from remington adn winchester

DEVINF450R
12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
also, there are shells and loads, that provide greater distance, patterning ability and "knock down power" than lead...

look at some of the offerings from companies like hevi shot, federal (ex black cloud), and then other non lead offereings from remington adn winchester

Black cloud patterns with a modified choke just like any other steel load does with a pattern master choke. which is good but its still steel.

Hevi-shot is the way to go.... but its like 2.25 a shell. Lead turkey loads are much cheaper:devil: but I wouldnt want to get caught shooting them at waterfowl. its not worth losing your hunting rights. I do however believe that steel wounds many more ducks

ben300
12-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Black cloud patterns with a modified choke just like any other steel load does with a pattern master choke. which is good but its still steel.

Hevi-shot is the way to go.... but its like 2.25 a shell. Lead turkey loads are much cheaper:devil: but I wouldnt want to get caught shooting them at waterfowl. its not worth losing your hunting rights. I do however believe that steel wounds many more ducks

yes but the black cloud has the flight stopper pellets in it..which imo work amazingly....i was a gun shop the other day and they were selling a shotgun shell that was a 2 3/4 that all the shot was in a cube shape....supposed to act liek the flight stopper pellets.....the guy there said eh went down south for a hunt, the guys he was with were using them, so he desided to start sellingthem

DEVINF450R
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
its a good point but Ill stick to heavy metal that is the same price and use my pattern master