PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake sticks

Oz24
12-15-2009, 09:07 PM
My rear brake sticks in the down position when I use it. I have tried spaying the spring and I still sticks. Any thoughts.

It on a 07 trx 400.

wykyd450R
12-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Maybe try and pull the foot brake lever off, and clean up the pivot area of it, and adding a little grease. Maybe there is some grime build up on the shaft that the lever slides onto.

Oz24
12-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks i'll give it a try. I am learning as I go and I am not wanting to pay Honda to do this crap for me.

slightlybent47
12-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by wykyd450R
Maybe try and pull the foot brake lever off, and clean up the pivot area of it, and adding a little grease. Maybe there is some grime build up on the shaft that the lever slides onto.

x2

racer 557
12-15-2009, 10:26 PM
before i sold my 400 it had same problem 2 sliding bolts on the caliber froze up we had to replace caliper and since then it worked fine but before it was like the brake was on when you did not press it, it also caused un even wear in the left vs right side brake pads

slightlybent47
12-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Hay that’s a good point. The bolts that go through the pads might need to be cleaned up.

You might want to pull the break caliper off and inspect and clean it. Take the two bolts that hold the break pads in and clean them up. If you need pads go ahead and do it then. It only takes a few minuets to do. I can change my rear pads in less then ten minuets.
All you need is a 12mm and 10mm socket and a flat screw driver.

So easy a caveman can do it!!!!!

extremetrucker
12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Hay that’s a good point. The bolts that go through the pads might need to be cleaned up.

You might want to pull the break caliper off and inspect and clean it. Take the two bolts that hold the break pads in and clean them up. If you need pads go ahead and do it then. It only takes a few minuets to do. I can change my rear pads in less then ten minuets.
All you need is a 12mm and 10mm socket and a flat screw driver.

So easy a caveman can do it!!!!!
or as far as the pedal is concerned that is just cotter pins to remove, and they do tend to rust in the sleeve that the stud sits in, i have actually broke one off in there it siezed up so bad. pull that apart for a good cleaning and greasin. in fact do this as often as you would change your oil, i dont know if a lot of people had problems with this, but i sure did.

slightlybent47
12-15-2009, 11:31 PM
One thing and I only say this because you said you were new to it, don’t pump the break peddle while you have the break caliper off. That will give you problems. Like an over extended piston or you’ll get air in the lines.

Oz24
12-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it.

racer 557
12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
yea that what your problem sounds like

this is dumb question but if you take caliber off it does free spin right??

Oz24
12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Yea. Problem is solved it was the bolt got rusted, most likely no lube in the begining. Everything is good to go now and I did my wife and sons quad as well. Thanks for the info.

racer 557
12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
good job dude i gotta get my bike put back together now i got it painted