PDA

View Full Version : Well i did it!!! but got a question

revman
12-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Well tore apart my first whole bottom end new bearings and seals, new crank welded and trued, yz490 rod, yukon gears, neils clutch mod. now i just half to see if she will run...lol... It wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be.

Oh and that is not the cylinder that will be staying on there. I just didnt want to experiment with a good cylinder just in case....well you know.

My question is if i decide to go an aftermarket big bore, i know the cases need to be bored but can i run a stock cylinder on bored cases, or does the skirt of the cylinder need the support from the case? The reason being is the cases that i used were already bored. For what i dont know. I was just thinking put a stock cylinder on there just to try it out and then go big. any input is much appreciated.

addictedtomud
12-15-2009, 07:30 PM
YES you can run a stock cylinder on cases machined for a big bore. When I sent in my CT350pv for re-do, I put a stock cylinder on there to get me by until the top end came back.

Saul76
12-15-2009, 08:24 PM
congrats on tearing to the bottom end. When I split my bottom end to fix the tranny I admit - I was nervous - especially once the case came apart and I had what felt like a billion pieces on my work bench.

But I got mine back together and it's held up thus far to some seriously hard riding (and a LOT of daily riding I might add - no weekend warrior fluff - ride day in day out when I can for excercise!)

It feels good to do that kinda job for the first time and gte it all back together - but - just wait till you actually start it and run it the 1st time - you'll be proud as hell man!

Good on you!!

revman
12-16-2009, 11:27 AM
thanks guys! yea it is a great feeling to know you did it.