View Full Version : Front hub bearings

Quadfather
01-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Anyone have any easy tricks for getting the front hub bearings out of the hub?

All info appreciated.

DantheEXman
01-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Well, If you are going to change them, then just put the hubs in an oven untill they get hot and the metal will expand and then just tap them on the counter or something and the bearings will plop right out. The heat cooks the bearings, so if you are goint to save them, then you will have to try your luck with some tools. This is explained better in the FAQ forum if you want to know more. Hope this helped.

Pappy
01-20-2003, 05:36 PM
ive tried the oven method...didnt work very well...but it does help.

i use a bearing puller to get the bearing started...then a 10 ton press. it took me a few sets to get it right...

stocktires
01-20-2003, 06:00 PM
I've found that its actually very hard to mess the bearings up. If I were you, I'd just beat the crap outa em and buy new ones off of ebay (very cheap there, i got a whole quad kit for like $40 for my R).
Then heat the hub slighly, and freeze the bearing and beat them back in! My roll extremely smooth, just make sure and take off the seals (very carefully) after instalation and bend them back a lil (you'll see) and then you'll be ready to roll on smoother front end!

Quadfather
01-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys. They actually came out quite easily, but anyway, I orderd the bearing tools from Planet Honda for future bearing extractions.

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
then a 10 ton press....

I think I have one of those in the back of the garage, maybe I will give it a try :eek: :huh

Sparks425Ex
01-21-2003, 05:51 AM
I just rip one out with a screw driver then wail the other out with a peice of wood.

wE nOT civiliZd lke yall ar.