PDA

View Full Version : oil in the exhaust

desratt
12-15-2009, 12:04 PM
wet oil not just smoke..

tore it down and still not obvious what it is from..

I would think rings or valve guides... what has been happening to others???

Scro
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
So I'm assuming it's smoking? Your right, it's either getting past the rings or through the valves. With that much oil, I would say it's coming from the valves.

desratt
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
first noticed when I would blip the throttle a poof of smoke would happen....then started running like crap.. thats when I noticed.. so I tore it down and thats where I am at...don't want to dump money into one thing and end up being another...

ds268
12-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Its quite possible that its oil seeping through the valve seals on the intake valves. After riding the hot oil can seep past the seals and guides so that the next time you start it up it will be blowing the oil out through the exhaust, then start to smoke as it warms up and burns the oil. I'm assuming it quits smoking after about a minute?

desratt
12-15-2009, 02:36 PM
it doesn't smoke much at all... the intake tract is spotless... the exhaust is another story it is extremely black and gewey...

how it happened I was ridding for about 5 minutes then it started running like crap... and doesn't go away.

ds268
12-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Ok, my next guess would be compression ring. Is there any way you can have a leak down test done? If the exhaust port is all full of oil then you have been blowing oil out for a while. If its a bad seal then it will only smoke upon start up for a minute or two. Sounds like you have worn out rings. What have you done to the engine as far as mods? Stock piston?

desratt
12-15-2009, 02:52 PM
duncan 470 12.5:1 web cam

I have had a problem... my tranny oil goes into my crank case oil and over fills it... after about 45 minutes of rideing.. but I have stayed on top of it and when it does that it blows oil out the crank case breather and it hasn't been doing that..
and it has not been overfilled in quite a while....

yea this bike has serious hours on it and it is raced often...

but the rings all look great none stuck or worn.. and cylinder wall looks prestine..

desratt
12-15-2009, 04:39 PM
problem solved... I just ordered a new 2009 kicker...

that old bike is tired.... and since the engine is halfway out I will just unbolt the new engine and put it in my old frame instead of changing everything else over..

Scro
12-15-2009, 06:36 PM
That's one way to fix it.:D

ds268
12-16-2009, 08:41 AM
What year was your old quad?

desratt
12-16-2009, 09:45 AM
that one was an 06..