PDA

View Full Version : New atv with a couple concerns can anyone help ?

MiZZiE
12-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Hello everyone, new member here just wondering if anyone can help me with my new atv? While I know these import quads aren't the best it's my first quad after a number of dirt bikes and mid bikes and it's just something to mess around on this winter.

90cc Redcat semi automatic while I know this was built to be a kids quad it was a good deal and fits in the back of my jeep with just folding the handle bars!haha. So I'm happy with it so far aside from a couple questions.......

first off, the quad doesn't have an ignition the previous owner said it didn't come with one but every 90cc I seen online has a key ignition. My wiring seems all there however so it confuses me.
Should this definetly have a key ignition?

Second question, I have yet to ride the quad yet as I bought it used and it needed a good carb cleaning new gas and oil as well as a new plug. So I was rolling it to my garage and decided I'd give it a rolling pop start attempt as I don't have a battery yet (will have it wedsday when I get paid!) so long story short I put it in gear and held my foot on the gear (since it's a semi auto with no manual clutch control) started rolling it down my driveway and a horrible pinging popping king of sound was coming out of the general area of the foot shift and the popping could be felt in the shift pedal slightly... Now this hase nervous so I didn't atempt to pop start after thAt....this is my first semi Auto shift motor it was in nuetral I clicked the foot pedal down 2geArs. This is 2nd gear correct?

The atv rolls perfect in nuetral but when trying to roll with shift pedal pressed down it still rolls but makes that un inviting sound... I Wish that I could explain the sound it make in better detail but I'm not sure how else to put it lol...sorry.

To make it easier can anyone please point me in the direction of what to check before riding it and making things worse....it makes the noise when any gear but neutral is selected and held down to allow the atv to roll... I'm handy with these things just not to familiar with these kind of engine and transmission setups any help and insight Is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
Mike

MiZZiE
12-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Please excuse the sloppy post m posting this from phone so it's a little weird to type and can't figure out how to edit post.:D

MiZZiE
12-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Now that i'm on an actual computer let me post a couple pics of my atv... (yea yea it's not a banshee, rator or a 400ex or etc) but it should move me 150lb around and depending how this one goes a nice sized name brand atv will be parked next to it sooner or later.

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt265/mizzie213/bike/22222-1.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt265/mizzie213/bike/21.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt265/mizzie213/bike/2222-1.jpg

Please help anyone! I dont know where to start looking and don't want to make things worse just wondering if there is a link someone can reffer me to or if anyone can lend a minute to tell me what i should begin to look for... no ATV shops around me or it would already be there... so i'm on my own haha.

-Mike

storms400ex
12-15-2009, 05:43 PM
first off wait till you get a battery then start it, then see if it makes that noise when you put it in gear, chances are it wont

mikecancu812
12-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I second that. I would definitely wait for the battery.