PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Best Long Travel For My 1989

honda4traxx87
12-15-2009, 12:28 AM
IM STARTING A NEW PROJECT FROM NOTHING. ITLL BE MY NEW DUNE BIKE. ITS GOING TO HAVE A CUSTOM ARENS FRAME WITH CR500 MOUNTS. I WANT IT TO HANDLE LIKE MY GRANDMAS CADDY! :P WHATS SOME OF YOUR GUYS SET UPS. WHAT WORKS WHAT DOESNT

extremetrucker
12-15-2009, 12:57 AM
gonna be a lot of different opinions here, but the fact of the matter is they all do relatively the same thing, i have a protrax on my hybrid and i love it, i have also used houser which was a great front end, but the best bang for the buck i have run thus far was a herrmann front end. they are all good, and will all perform close to one another, go with one that looks nice, (<---i know that sounds ignorant) and one with good customer service. but in my opinion you can feel how much smoother the protrax is because theres no balljoints to bind, but at the time of my build i didnt mind shelling out 2200 bucks for a front end.

danhung11
12-15-2009, 05:25 AM
Did Arens make a CR500 rear end frame? I am not really sure a LT CR500 setup is necessary for a duner. Just my honest opinion.

Dan

12-15-2009, 10:46 AM
You don't want your quad to handle like your grandpa's caddy. Maybe ride like it but not handle like it. If you want the best long travel front end go to walshrc.com and order new a-arms.

siderbox
12-17-2009, 05:53 PM
honda4traxx87
You said "WITH CR500 MOUNTS"
Are you going to run CR500 rear set up?
Or
Are you talking about a CR500 engine?

deathman53
12-17-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm gonna say its a close contest between Roll lobo, t-pin and walsh a-arms. The roll and walsh use 400ex spindles and to keep the 250r brakes, you need to buy adapters and 88/89 250r hubs. If you buy 88 hubs, figure on replacing the bearings, you will need to knock out the inner or outer to put a tapered center in.

honda4traxx87
12-17-2009, 08:08 PM
My dream bike would have a arens 250R frame with stock geometry with cr500 motor mounts.....what are the benefits of cr500 suspension links? all i ride is dunes

siderbox
12-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Take this from someone that has a CR500 in a quad.
Skip that...
And build a puma if you want all that power.
The 500 is fun and its a neat thing to have.
Until you try and ride it more than fifteen minutes.
The vibration will get to ya.
When you get off your hands are buzzing.
You'll need to look over the bike and see what fell off or came loose.
I've done alot of things to mine to keep the vibs down. They still make it almost enjoyably to ride.

Don't get me wrong. It's a blast to have but I'd do it different if I had it to do over.

All250R
12-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Does anyone have a solid opinion about setups for dunes? My 0preload sucks honestly out there - handles great, but tires you in choppy and whoopy stuff.

I have a super low hours 89 with stock shocks that is easier on me than the expensive MX shocks.

troybilt
12-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by All250R
Does anyone have a solid opinion about setups for dunes? My 0preload sucks honestly out there - handles great, but tires you in choppy and whoopy stuff.

I have a super low hours 89 with stock shocks that is easier on me than the expensive MX shocks.

My Elkas were that way in the dunes on my 89, I actually prefered the stock setup... :eek2:

...that is unless I was airing it out, the Elkas provided better bottoming resistance, but thru the choppy stuff on a busy weekend, the stock soaked it up better. I think I needed to work with my Elkas more, but ended up selling them and going with Fox Floats, like I have on my 450... best setup IMO.