PDA

View Full Version : better brakes

08ex4
12-14-2009, 10:40 PM
hey does anyone know how i can make my front brakes more powerful other than switching to 450r stuff. im trying to do stoppies but im limited cause the brakes up front suck btw i got brand new pads on it thanks for the help in advance

slightlybent47
12-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Do you have braded lines on it? I think that will take some of the spongy feel out of it.

08ex4
12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
no i dont but should i spend the money on the or just get 450r calipers i can get them used for probably 30 bucks a side my buddy sells used atv parts

extremetrucker
12-15-2009, 12:29 AM
try the lines first, its not as easy as throwing the calipers on there, a spindle change is also in order, and i dont know if the hubs and rotors will work so you might need those too. steel braided lines make a big difference, and a lot of people hate 400ex brakes, but i personally dont mind them and i have never had a problem with them. another option would be some 250r calipers with the billet adapters for 400ex spindles if you can find them. or i have some that were rebuilt not too long ago i might part with. but try the lines first, you might be satisfied.

extremetrucker
12-15-2009, 12:31 AM
and if your buddy sells used parts and has any yfz calipers check those for fit, dont hold me to this, but i heard somewhere that they work with little or no modification. dont quote me on that though i have never seen or tried it, maybe someone on here knows??? that would be nice since those are also dual piston and wouldnt warrant a spindle swap

gt400ex
12-15-2009, 01:35 AM
The 450r and 400ex hubs and rotors will interchange. Braided brake lines will make a BIG difference with stopping, also just adding the 450r front master cylinder helps if you dont want to pull the hubs and spindles down.

riotact
12-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by gt400ex
The 450r and 400ex hubs and rotors will interchange. Braided brake lines will make a BIG difference with stopping, also just adding the 450r front master cylinder helps if you dont want to pull the hubs and spindles down.

What is the difference between the 400ex master and the 450r master cylinder?

dustin_j
12-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by extremetrucker
and if your buddy sells used parts and has any yfz calipers check those for fit, dont hold me to this, but i heard somewhere that they work with little or no modification. dont quote me on that though i have never seen or tried it, maybe someone on here knows??? that would be nice since those are also dual piston and wouldnt warrant a spindle swap

I also read on here that yfz calipers will bolt on. It'd be nice to hear from someone else that this works. Maybe your buddy would let you give it a try...

extremetrucker
12-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j
I also read on here that yfz calipers will bolt on. It'd be nice to hear from someone else that this works. Maybe your buddy would let you give it a try... i knew i wasnt crazy and ive seen that posted somewhere. someone needs to try this.

honda400ex2003
12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by riotact
What is the difference between the 400ex master and the 450r master cylinder?
the 450 one has a bigger piston in it so it exerts more force on the calipers with the same amount of force on the lever. steve

F-16Guy
12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
wtf?? I posted a reply and it disappeared. Anyway, I think the answer to your problems is a set of stainless braided lines and a good bleeding. I bought a pair of SS lines that run separately all the way to the master cylinder and attach with a longer banjo fitting. Once it was properly bled, the lever felt rock-solid, and the front brakes can now put me over the bars. Definitely a 100% improvement.

edit -- Ahh, double post. I was wondering what happened there.

rlbuhsjr
12-15-2009, 11:54 AM
so braided lines really make that much of a differance. how good were your brakes before?

riotact
12-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
the 450 one has a bigger piston in it so it exerts more force on the calipers with the same amount of force on the lever. steve

Cool.I always wondered why you have to replace the master cylinder when you switch to the 450r calipers now I know.Thanks!!

F-16Guy
12-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by rlbuhsjr
so braided lines really make that much of a differance. how good were your brakes before?
My brakes sucked. I could pull the lever almost all the way to the grip, and I was lucky if it would lock up on dirt. Now I can only get about an inch of pull on the lever, and they will send me over the bars if I grab a handful. Keep in mind that I have the dual line setup. I don't know if the SS lines with the stock "T" configuration are that strong, but I'm sure they are much better. The stock lines balloon out under pressure instead of transferring that pressure to the calipers, so you get weak, mushy brakes.

rlbuhsjr
12-15-2009, 12:38 PM
What about the rears? Could you send me in the right direction for what you got?

F-16Guy
12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
I have all stock stuff out back except for a wave rotor. The back has always been fine for me; I can lock them up if I need to. The fronts, on the other hand, have sucked since I picked it up from the dealer. I tried to bleed the stock setup couple of times, but the SS lines made the difference.

08ex4
12-15-2009, 05:51 PM
well it looks like im trying the lines first i greatly appriciate all the help where would be the best place to get a set? i want to go with the double line set up i think i have a doulble banjo bolt already should i just buy the lines from like autozone or jegs something
like that or will they be cheaper through an atv oline store

08ex4
12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASR-Honda-TRX-400EX-400X-MX-PRO-Front-Brake-Lines_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5637ee4618QQitemZ 370305549848QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessorie s

i dont know how to post a link but this should be ok right?

Wheelie
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I know you wanted an option other than the 450R stuff, but...

Go with the R setup front and back, it's the only way to fly. By the time you sell all the EX stuff, the R swap costs very little. More rear clearance, better brake control, and an adjustable, shorty brake lever to boot.