PDA

View Full Version : Xr650 250r

honda4traxx87
12-14-2009, 10:40 PM
i have seen some one on here with a xr650 in there 250R. I was thinkning about doing this swap for a while and would like to see pictures. also wondering if there is a company or someone out there that builds frames for these. thanks

Langbolt
12-15-2009, 08:52 AM
You mean this one ?

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=353848

I'm sure any of the Frame manufacturers would build you one....you just need the $$$ to do it.

Contact Lonestar or HRE and ask for a quote.

:devil:

troybilt
12-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Langbolt
You mean this one ?

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=353848

I'm sure any of the Frame manufacturers would build you one....you just need the $$$ to do it.

Contact Lonestar or HRE and ask for a quote.

Is that your bike?

FYI, I've seen someone on here probably in the hybrid section that had a very nice black one built. Try searching XR650 in that section it should come up for you.

troybilt
12-15-2009, 09:11 AM
I meant gray not black... :D

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=416889

Langbolt
12-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Nope!

Mine's the Blue one....:devil:

The frame was built by a friend at his machine shop.

D Bergstrom
12-15-2009, 10:58 AM
You will need a custom frame, the 650 motor is really tall, and I doubt it will fit in a stock 250 frame. I believe the one that troybuilt posted is actually a 400ex frame, I think that is the same one that a guy used to race in SCORE, but I could be wrong. If it is the one I am thinking, he actually had two of them for sale a year or so ago, not sure if this is the same guy, or maybe someone who bought one and is know trying to sell.

Here is another:

http://dirtwheelsmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=C30CBF82E7C944C0ACB195CBBC129ED9&nm=Contact+Us&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=7095D2C297E44470895E3E4CBB8D0756

The above bike is bad a**, I have seen it work. It won every BITD race this year in the pro class. One of the races they lapped me, I thought I was moving pretty good through some medium size whoops, they passed me in the big whoops like I was standing still, and it did not look like the rider was even trying! The thing handles so good. I would love to have one myself.

Doug

Langbolt
12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Definitely!!!! There's NO way the 650 will fit in the 250R frame. It will fit in the 400EX with a few ajustments to the front frame rails and the swingarm (to get the motor over to the Right so the kick-starter will clear the frame) Unles you do what MALIBUJ did and go with the Baja Design Electric start.

He did a sweet conversion with his stock 400ex frame and wasn't that difficult.

I've got pics of I can upload tonight.

troybilt
12-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
You will need a custom frame, the 650 motor is really tall, and I doubt it will fit in a stock 250 frame. I believe the one that troybuilt posted is actually a 400ex frame, I think that is the same one that a guy used to race in SCORE, but I could be wrong. If it is the one I am thinking, he actually had two of them for sale a year or so ago, not sure if this is the same guy, or maybe someone who bought one and is know trying to sell.

Here is another:

http://dirtwheelsmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=C30CBF82E7C944C0ACB195CBBC129ED9&nm=Contact+Us&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=7095D2C297E44470895E3E4CBB8D0756

The above bike is bad a**, I have seen it work. It won every BITD race this year in the pro class. One of the races they lapped me, I thought I was moving pretty good through some medium size whoops, they passed me in the big whoops like I was standing still, and it did not look like the rider was even trying! The thing handles so good. I would love to have one myself.

Doug

That bike is unreal. Don't know why they went with YFZ body though... Something about sticking with all Honda plastic/motor to me is better...

Note I heard the XR motor has vibration issues similar to the CR500's in quads, is this true?

BTW, I didn't know Greg Stuart and Nic Granlund were still racing... they are on the "old school" list... :)

D Bergstrom
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
That bike is unreal. Don't know why they went with YFZ body though... Something about sticking with all Honda plastic/motor to me is better...

Note I heard the XR motor has vibration issues similar to the CR500's in quads, is this true?

BTW, I didn't know Greg Stuart and Nic Granlund were still racing... they are on the "old school" list... :)

Yeah, everyone in BITD calls it the "Yamahonda". I think it has the YFZ body work since Nic Grunland is a Yamaha guy.

The 650 motors are counterbalanced, I know my cousin has a XR650 and it is real smooth, it is a real nice motor. I guess mounting it in a quad chassis might lead to some extra vibration, but I could not imagine it being that bad. Maybe Langbolt will chime in on how it is.

The CR500 motor in a quad frame would have to be bad, I know my 2001 CR500 bike would make my hands go numb, I could not even imagine how it would be in a quad.

Doug

troybilt
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Doug, Do you think that XR setup would be better than your 700XX? Matlock and co. seem to be doing pretty well with the ol'700 in Baja.

D Bergstrom
12-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Doug, Do you think that XR setup would be better than your 700XX? Matlock and co. seem to be doing pretty well with the ol'700 in Baja.

Well, I guess it depends on the XR setup. The Yamahonda is pretty much a custom quad, they built the quad around the motor, so they were able to set it up the way they wanted. If you used 400ex frame, not sure you would have the same result. You would be working around a factory frame that may not fit perfectly into what you are doing. Wayne was at every BITD race this year with his 700XX, and the Yamahonda still won, so that should tell you something. Granted, Wayne did have alot of stupid stuff happen also. I don't know, if both teams had a completely trouble free run, not sure how it would turn out.

I actually did consider a XR650 hybrid before I bought my 700XX. I chose the 700XX for two reasons:

The first was cost, the Yamahonda was one expensive quad. Not only to build, but to also work the bugs out. If I was going to do it, I would go custom frame, not the 400ex route. That thing was pretty problemmatic until they figured it out, I know they had some transmission problems with the 650 motor also. I figured if I built one, I would have the same "learning curve" they did. Of course, my curve would be to a lesser extent, since those pro riders push things alot harder then I ever could! Still, I think the cost would be much higher with a XR650 powered quad compared to building a 700XX.

The second reason was I really wanted to try the IRS, figured nothing really new with a solid axle quad. My intial impression is the IRS is really nice, can't wait to actually get some new suspension on it and give it a try.

I think both would be awesome, but would one or the other make me faster? Probably not, I do not think I even ride a 450R to its full potential!

Doug

Langbolt
12-15-2009, 05:07 PM
hey guys,

Yes there is a wee bit of vibrations at high RPM's....:D

I feel it in the seat more than I do in the grips as I have a Anti-Vibe stem and soft grips.

It runs great and I've not had any issues (knock on wood) with anything breaking. I did lose a nerf bar (bolt came loose and off she went) and my custom billet fuel on/off dial came off.....so there is some vibes loosening stuff.

I wish Honda built their 700XX motor like the XR650 in such a way that ALL the XR owners could maybe adapt the electric start!!!!

She was a REAL PIG to start when I had the 12:1 compression and stroker crank in it......I switched to 11:1 and it's much better.
It's easy when it's warm......down right a workout when it's cold.

The Torque is unreal!!!!

Here's a pic of MALIBUJ's XR650-400ex swap.

woodsracer144
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
this is rustyATV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4kZ0XwA4KQ

kookennay
12-16-2009, 10:35 AM
ONE OF MY FRIENDS THAT RIDES WITH ME HAS AN 1997 XR650 WIT ELECTRIC START. IT WOULD BE RIDICULOUS ON A FOUR WHEELER. I COULDN,T IMAGINE TRYING TO KICK STARTTHAT BIKE.

tayyo789
01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
here's a link to mine:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=407937
its not actually that bad to start it if you have an accelerator pump on your carb. i give it two squirts with the pump, pull the decompression lever in, roll it through 3 times and give her hell, and it starts first kick.
as far as the chassis goes, a custom is of course better, but i use a 400ex and its held up fine, but i built tons of gussets. its not the best motocross, but desert and dunes, this thing is worth the time and money to build.