PDA

View Full Version : total new-B to hondas... help??

fx4pitrone
12-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Ok, I'm a total New-B to hondas... been a 'Zuk fan for some time..... but I have come across a good deal on an 86 250r. It has a 450r swingarm... is there anything I should look for to be sure it's done right?
Also, the case is welded around the shift shaft.. is this a common problem?
And are all hondas the same bolt pattern for tires/rims for interchangability?

Sorry for all the New-B questions, but I'm out of my element if its not a quadracer :confused: Thanks in advance!

1promodfan
12-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by fx4pitrone
Ok, I'm a total New-B to hondas... been a 'Zuk fan for some time..... but I have come across a good deal on an 86 250r. It has a 450r swingarm... is there anything I should look for to be sure it's done right?
Also, the case is welded around the shift shaft.. is this a common problem?
And are all hondas the same bolt pattern for tires/rims for interchangability?

Sorry for all the New-B questions, but I'm out of my element if its not a quadracer :confused: Thanks in advance!

Ask all the questions you want, thats what we're here for. The 450R swingarm is no problem as far as I know. If the case is welded around the shift shaft, thats the normal "chain slapping the case trick". 250R's are bad for that. I say just be sure it doesn't leak. Check all the joints, a-arms, shocks etc. Be SURE to check the frame for cracks......lift the quad up so it sits on the rear grab bar and look under the motor, and motor mounts and where the engine cradle is for cracks. Don't be afraid to ask all kinds of questions. What bore is the motor on, has any work been done to it? And be sure to ride it and listen for anything that sounds unusual. I'm sure some more guys will chime in and offer some more pointers.

fx4pitrone
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the response! ANd I just checked and realized most hondas are 4/144 and 4/110 bolt pattern so most anyhting will interchange w/ each other....

The motor is .60 over, and has porting done by PR Racing (Toledo?)... PWK39, Boyeseen reed valve, FMF pipe/silencer.... the thing really rips!
Its also got all 450r front spindles/hubs/rotors/calipers...... I just know nothing about them! LOL ANy help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1promodfan
12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
You have any pics??

jcs003
12-15-2009, 01:25 AM
39mm carb is kinda big. was it built for top end power?

fx4pitrone
12-15-2009, 04:57 AM
HE said it was actually set up for the trail... and no I dont have pics yet.... I rode the thing and it does RIP!!

IcutMetl
12-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Well I can tell you my experiences; take from them what you wish.

I am on my first 250R as well and its the first/only one I've ridden; long story short, it's now on a .060" overbore, ported for midrange, RAD Valve, 195+psi compression, bored 38mm PWK A/S, open airbox, and FMF Exhaust. When I bought it, it had a semi-tired .020" non-ported cylinder, and a paul-turner Hi-Rev pipe with a 38mm PJ. Oh yea; I have stock gearing and 20/21" tires. As it sits, it repeatedly gave my pal's piped Banshee fits...until that 'shee blew up.

If I was going to do a woods/trail setup again; the only thing I would do differently (if on a budget) would be to use a carb in the 35-36mm range for more low-mid snap. You can definitely tell my bike is happiest in the midrange, and I'm sure that big carb helps pull a bit more higher end out of it. In the woods, it's a TON better than when I bought it, but in tight trails, or climbing up stream embankments, etc, it still requires fancy clutch work and could definitely benefit from a slight gearing change or perhaps a smaller carb.

At this point, I'll deal with it the way it is; I think that worked 38mm carb I have will be perfect for a big bore in the future.

I wouldn't be afraid of the carb size; if you like the way it runs, roll with it. If not, keep it as a spare- good used carbs can be had pretty cheap on here or ebay.

Derrick Adams
12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
The cases breaking by the shift shaft is very common on the 250R. What I would suggest you do imediately is add a nice aftermarket rear chain guide to your 450R swingarm. Especially if your taking that machine in the woods. Might be good to consider a skid plate as well. If you smack something with your rear sprocket without a rear chain guide, you WILL throw the chain and break the case again.

Curious what rear shock is on the bike. There are several small issues to overcome when doing the swingarm upgrade. Just wondering if yours is done right. Pics would be nice. All in all though the 450r front and rear upgrades are nice touchs. Sounds like a solid start.

What pipe is one the bike?

fx4pitrone
12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
It has a-arm skids and chassis skids already... I would def. be getting a swinger skid for it right away. The rear shock is the stock 250r rear shock he says. The fronts are works rezzies, and it has an FMF pipe/silencer....

I appreciate the input guys! Keep it coming....