PDA

View Full Version : Eton Motor Help

dopeyferree
12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
I have an Eton 70 acting really funny, it will idle great all day long, but when you give it gas is spitters pops and doesnt accelerate very much, then after putting around and sputtering, everyonce in while it will take off and run great but as soon as you let off it starts to sputter. Great idle, low to mid throttle sputter and if you ever get it to hi rpm its fine. Any ideas. any chance i may have some damaged reeds or think this may be a carb issue..

nastynotchback1
12-14-2009, 08:06 PM
what is done to it as far as mods go?

dopeyferree
12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
mods are aftermarket carb, reeds, koso intake, aftermarket pipe, clutch. All the basic power mods

LT80
12-14-2009, 08:47 PM
My first thought is clean the carb. Sounds like it has something floating around in there blocking the main jet.
2nd thought is compression.

Dopey...LOL That's funny. :D

nastynotchback1
12-15-2009, 06:21 AM
i would start with carb/compression but if that don't work you may need to change some springs in the clutching

etondaddy
12-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Yep......the ol' boil the carb trick......I love the smell of carb soup. When did it start doing it......after riding in the dust or mud....????

Mike Kozura

raptorobbie
12-15-2009, 07:52 AM
check your reeds first - same thing exactly on our drr this past summer.

lon
12-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Ours would act like that sometimes, I found that right next to the led night rider light, a wire wasn't getting a good connection.I don't know what it is called but there are two wires that plug into the top of this thingy. I messed with that and it fixed the prob.

dopeyferree
12-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Reeds are good, cleaned the carb a little, still the same thing. While riding in the yard, if i bounce it around, it will build up and take off but as soon as I let off of it , it does it again, I didnt disassembe the whole carb, just the bowl and clean the jets out.

raptorobbie
12-15-2009, 10:01 AM
how does it act w/ the rear wheels off the ground?

dopeyferree
12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
with rear wheels off ground acts alot better, but still occasionally had that mid bog. For the most part its runs great off the ground.

LT80
12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
My reply remains the same.
Clean the carb ...good..
Check the compression.
We need to eliminate these aspects before going onto other maybes'.

etondaddy
12-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by raptorobbie
how does it act w/ the rear wheels off the ground?
Yea if it does it on the stand it should be carb. if it quits clutchs.....

Did it start after riding in bad dust or mud or something like that.....????

Mike Kozura

dopeyferree
12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
little dust, not real bad, no mud though.

LT80
12-16-2009, 07:53 AM
" it will idle great all day long, but when you give it gas is spitters pops and doesnt accelerate very much, then after putting around and sputtering, everyonce in while it will take off and run great but as soon as you let off it starts to sputter. Great idle, low to mid throttle sputter and if you ever get it to hi rpm its fine."

I'm allways up for learning,,, but where in that statementdo you guys see a clutch problem???..Unless it wasn't described right..
I've never seen the clutchs make the motor sputter and spit.

If it isn't the carb,,
if it isn't compression,,
It could be seals..
That's what I'm thinking.:)

etondaddy
12-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by LT80
Unless it wasn't described right..

You never know.....Jackson brown :huh

Mike Kozura

nastynotchback1
12-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Clutching can cause it to bog when you get on it and then all of a sudden it will take off.It will run fine until you get back to lower rpm's and try to take off again.We cannot hear what you are hearing so everyone is trying to give you all the info they can to help you out based on what you have posted.