PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Motor... Questions...

jef_46614
12-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm gathering some info on what I'll need for a project that I plan on doing this winter.
I want to rebuild my Blaster motor. Since it's leaking oil from about every gasket I might as well get inside of it and change out the crankshaft, bearings, rod, piston, rings and bore... and of course all new gaskets and seals.
I've never cracked a motor open before, but I want to and I want to do it right. I recently bought a manual and I read through all the steps of rebuilding the motor and reassembling it. I noticed that I would need a couple of tools that I don't already have and I'm not too sure how many times I would use them in the future. One is the crankcase tool. I'm guessing this one is pretty important. Another was one to put the crank case back together.
My question is what all tools do I absolutely need aside from your basic wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.
Also, are there any tips or tricks that would help?
Things I absolutely should or shouldn't do?

audioworks04
12-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Splitting cases is a big deal and not recommended unless you really know what you are doing.
If you decide to do this then make sure you label everything and take lots pictures as you go. Zip lock bags are your friend along with a good memory. Make sure you have all your parts before you tear it apart so that its not sitting there apart for a while making it easy to forget how it came apart.
Last use that manual and make sure you follow step by step.