PDA

View Full Version : Off-season MAINTAINANCE be prepared !

hotquads1
12-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I have had a couple of calls concerning recommendations for off-season maintainance , so I felt a thread discussing the issues may interest others, everyone can pitch in their ideas. I am assuming the obvious and bringing mention to the not so obvious.
I have found the most overlooked items to be the following;
( I like to just replace these items instead of waiting for a failure, but at the very least perform a thorough inspection)

throttle cable
all water pump parts
intake boot (rubber)
top-end needle bearing
crank seals
(service rear pulley)

this whole list of parts can be purchased from any dealer for about 100 bucks , and could be the difference in finishing that all important race .
Marc

EthansDad
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I'd like to see this thread grow out. I bet there's a big list from all on what they do in the cold months deep in the garage! here are a few things on my off season tear down, curious what others have:

*frame inspection - take rear fenders off and have a look. We've had issues with frame/swing arm around shock mounts. good to check/touch up

*shock rebuilds - for after market like fox/elka they recommend yearly factory maintenance. Ours are going back to CA next week or so.

*pivot point re-grease -I do everything that moves. take apart, clean, apply more grease. Insert shameless amsoil plug here? nah, but its slicker than snot and holds up most of the year.

nordic quad
12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Oh yes its winter rebuilds and maintenance.Our 70 is up first.will check and replace most of the things listed above.But we got moore on our list.

Check
A arms and steering steem for exsessive play.Weel and sving arm bearings.

Replace
Piston and rings,brake fluids and pads and repack exhaust.

Stein A

qcitytile
12-14-2009, 12:10 PM
All the above I tear the kids quads completly down clean and reassemble every winter.

all transmission bearings
motor mount bushings
bearings in front wheel hubs

Coley'sdad#8
12-14-2009, 03:05 PM
if your not riding then your not moving fresh fuel through your system. the liquid in the fuel evaporates leaving behind the solids which are often called "varnish" then when you dump new fuel into your tank this varnish partially becomes flowable again. these small sometimes barely visible peices of varnish plug or partially plug the small jet orfices and can cause bad run conditions and meltdown from a lean run condition. drain the tank and run that in your snowblower or something and keep a good amount of spray silicone in your carb and lines to keep things pliable:D always keep a good fuel filter on your bike.

Andyman17dad
12-14-2009, 04:25 PM
tie rod ends, ball joints, ect

nitrofish
12-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Great thread. I hate electrical issues! Check all your connections and add dialectic grease where applicable. Check grounds!

EthansDad
12-14-2009, 07:08 PM
qcitytile, can you elaborate more on what you are referring to for motor mount bushings? I know what they are, but can't imagine a failure there. What's happen to yours in the past?

dericsdad
12-14-2009, 08:17 PM
The right rear motor mount/rubber bushing just above the drive sprocket gets worn out fast. i replace ours every year. It keeps the engine from shifting around too much under load or landing on the throttle. Will prevent thrown chains too.

qcitytile
12-14-2009, 08:59 PM
just as dericsdad explained. I also had the left rear wear out. The metal spacer becomes loose between the rubber.

Ryki3r
12-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Swing arm bolt !!!!!!

edwardsp&b
12-15-2009, 06:28 AM
good point qcity, i never thought about checking that bushing. another to add to the list.

hotquads1
12-19-2009, 12:08 PM
pull and inspect reeds (edges) for wear or damage.

Ryki3r
12-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I also clean and replace the oil in the oil tank. This includes removing the pump and flushing it.

hotquads1
01-04-2010, 12:24 PM
replace Throttle cable for insuraance and ease of operation.

Ryki3r
01-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Don't forget to check the gear. My son's chest protector has a torn side strap, I just noticed.

asadad00
01-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Great Thread ! Loads of good information, for us first timers.