PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stock Axle Is Impossible

honda4traxx87
12-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Okay guys, i need some suggestions on how to get the stock axle out of the swingarm and same with the carrier (if the axle ever comes out). Ive tried just about everything that i can think of...ive had a lot of different tools on this thing and it got it moving for about 10 threads and then it just stoped and it aint movn :cuss: : im seeing if any one has some secret trick that i dont know about lol...help!

extremetrucker
12-14-2009, 01:43 AM
umm, in that pic, your axle nuts are still on, you gotta turn them in towards the rotor, one at a time, that will expose a circlip in a groove on the axle, pry that out, then your nuts, and the threaded part will slide off the splines, as well as brake rotor hub and the axle should slide right out, unless its rusted to the bearings, but shouldnt take that much. unless you went through all this and you have other issues, i think theres a sticky in the 400ex thread about axle removal, same procedure with pics showing the clip im talking about. good luck

jcs003
12-14-2009, 01:45 AM
same thing happened to me on my LSR anti-fade. i had to scrap it and get a new one. i tried heat, a hammer on the wrench and everything else i could think of. i got it moving enough to get the retainer clip off.

its almost if you over tighten the set-screws the aluminum doesn't return enough to loosen it up.

extremetrucker
12-14-2009, 01:49 AM
i wrecked an antifade once too, they should make a rubber gasket that goes in the slit/pinch part so dirt and chit dont get in the threads, thats what happened to mine. anyways, heres a link to show the procedure, except for your carrier removal, that 86/87 swinger has a bolt in the bottom that has to come out too, as it protrudes into the carrier housing. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350

rooster300ex
12-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by extremetrucker
umm, in that pic, your axle nuts are still on, you gotta turn them in towards the rotor, one at a time, that will expose a circlip in a groove on the axle, pry that out, then your nuts, and the threaded part will slide off the splines, as well as brake rotor hub and the axle should slide right out, unless its rusted to the bearings, but shouldnt take that much. unless you went through all this and you have other issues, i think theres a sticky in the 400ex thread about axle removal, same procedure with pics showing the clip im talking about. good luck

it would have been alot easier if the swingarm was on the quad.

honda4traxx87
12-14-2009, 04:54 PM
just to make sure im doing it right. the threads are reverse thread... and when the two bolts are tight against the rotor there is a c clip thats supposed to be exposed? then i remove that and it should be easier?

honda4traxx87
12-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by honda4traxx87
Okay guys, i need some suggestions on how to get the stock axle out of the swingarm and same with the carrier (if the axle ever comes out). Ive tried just about everything that i can think of...ive had a lot of different tools on this thing and it got it moving for about 10 threads and then it just stoped and it aint movn :cuss: : im seeing if any one has some secret trick that i dont know about lol...help!

in the picture the bolts are loosened all the way to the last thread and then they just stop there :/

red88r
12-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
same thing happened to me on my LSR anti-fade. i had to scrap it and get a new one. i tried heat, a hammer on the wrench and everything else i could think of. i got it moving enough to get the retainer clip off.

its almost if you over tighten the set-screws the aluminum doesn't return enough to loosen it up.

I use never seize or anti-seize on my anti-fades and that seems to work. My brother wrecked his and had to get a new one also.

extremetrucker
12-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by honda4traxx87
in the picture the bolts are loosened all the way to the last thread and then they just stop there :/ the innermost one towards the brake rotor is a jam nut, turn that towards the brake hub about halfway, then turn the wider nut the same way, exposing the circlip. pry the clip out, and the nuts stay right on the threads as that is a sleeve with threads outside and splines inside, slide that off. and the brake hub slides off, and the axle will slide out towards the sprocket side,

honda4traxx87
12-14-2009, 06:39 PM
haha i got it out!!! :D now i can send it out to get powder coated and then put in my burgard carrier and +4 lsr axle :D

thanks everyone who gave advice, your the ****!

extremetrucker
12-15-2009, 01:02 AM
well done grasshopper:chinese:

jcs003
12-15-2009, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by red88r
I use never seize or anti-seize on my anti-fades and that seems to work. My brother wrecked his and had to get a new one also.

i thought about that. but is their a torque spec for these LSR anti-fade?

destey
12-15-2009, 04:41 AM
Seeing the prices places are getting, I should start making antifades!!

86DUNCAN250R
01-02-2010, 08:24 AM
the collar nut on mine was froze solid..... i grinded a groove in it almost to the threads before putting a cold chisle flat in the groove i had grinded into the nut about 1 1/2 hours with fine care and a touch more grinding and pounding on the chisle with a 3lb. short handle sledge. after i cracked the last bit of the collar nut i was able to break it loose with the chisle and get it off enough until i could pry it off ... if you do that method i will stress be CAREFULL you don't damage the threads where the collar nut goes on if you plan on re-using the axle... my axle was froze in the carrier as well in which i used a sawzall with a steel cutter blade to get through the axle and I then used a 1/2" thick steel plate on the end of the axle where i cut it off because its hollow inside and I used an air impact wrench on the puller to get the axle to come loose from the carrier... here is a pick of the old axle if it helps you picture how i did it... its kinda hard to explain... but it worked after i invested about 2 1/2 hours total time...