PDA

View Full Version : Who knows electrical?? help needed

toydub
12-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I was out on a trail and my 03-400ex died. got it home and found both fuses blown. I put new ones in and its started right up. after a few minutes it died. As I looked threw all the wiring I found my headlights blew as well.. I had a friend take a look but he is just starting school so he isn't on top of the game yet, but he took my rectifier in and did confirm it was bad. I bought a new OEM recitfier and now the minute I turn the key on the fuse blows?? I don't know where to even start?? The fuse that blows is the top one in the back. can anyone help??

bigbad400
12-14-2009, 09:34 AM
check your ground and put some dielectric grease in all the plugs. the ground on these tends to wiggle loose its in a terrible spot. mine did the same thing for a while and that fixed it for me.

toydub
12-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I will have to try that.. Do you think I should be concerned about the Ingistion switch or alternator?? should I focus on the wiring itself?

bigbad400
12-15-2009, 06:45 AM
what it sounds like you have to me is a short. a wire is grounding out and poping the fuse. it could be in a switch it could be a broken wire only making a connection once in a while. but anything like your regulator of rectifier, wouldnt make that happen it would either not charge your battery or not start at all or nothing. one thing about electricity is that its simple. diagnosis isnt simple always but generally when parts like that go bad fuses will still be good. nothings imposable but generally.....dont completely wright it off but dont just start buying parts either. there is usually something simple going on.

bigbad400
12-15-2009, 06:50 AM
by the way there is only one fuse in your box that has power to blow the other is a spare holder. they made it like that so on the trail you'd have an extra. do you still have the lid for the little fuse box on? i lost mine once and water got in there and popped em a couple times till i blew it out with the air hose and got a new cap for it. just another thing to look at.