PDA

View Full Version : Can you weld on the stock cylinder sleeve?

Honda 250r 001
12-13-2009, 09:28 PM
ive got a unported 85 atc cylinder that has a fracture on the skirt of the sleeve. Its not broken on both sides. Is it possible to weld the sleeve? Could i weld it in and bore it and would it be ok?
Thanks

jcs003
12-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
ive got a unported 85 atc cylinder that has a fracture on the skirt of the sleeve. Its not broken on both sides. Is it possible to weld the sleeve? Could i weld it in and bore it and would it be ok?
Thanks

i would say no. the weld would create hardened areas in the sleeve and would cause issues with keeping the sleeve and piston temp uniform. also, there would have to be a substantial amount of material removed after the weld to get an accurate bore.

extremetrucker
12-14-2009, 02:03 AM
i wouldnt, sleeves are a very strange type of cast when it comes to welding, and if you did accomplish it, i doubt anyone would wanna run their tools through it, another possible issue with this is that your weld and the cast will not be exact alloys and might expand and contract at different rates thus having a cheese grater effect on your piston, get it resleeved, or although i dont reccommend this, i had a buddy of mine run one that had a hairline crack in the bottom part of the sleeve with no issues, i guess i'd sooner do that than try to weld it, but your best bet would be to resleeve.

Honda 250r 001
12-14-2009, 07:05 AM
well that answers that, thanks. I still might give it a try and see if the weld looks good.

atvmxr
12-14-2009, 09:59 AM
I would check with Neil (C-leigh racing) he has some sort of fix he learned from CT "back in the day" ;)

destey
12-14-2009, 11:46 AM
exriders delivers again!