PDA

View Full Version : PEP and Elka ?s

DirtDiggler
01-19-2003, 09:28 AM
I want a set of PEP zps shocks. The problem is my dealer says 3 months and Baldwin says 8 - 10 weeks. I know someone getting those shocks from Baldwin and it has been almost 10 months.

I know you guys who race hard agree that the PEP shocks are better than the Elka shocks but that Elka is coming up. I don't race I just ride hard, jump and sometimes go to the mx track just to screw around. Would someone of my ability who doesn't race be able to tell the difference between PEP zps and Elka zps?
Diggler

DirtDiggler
01-19-2003, 09:31 AM
just for the record my point is if I can't get the shocks for almost a year it doen't matter if they are 10 - 15% better if I'm not riding on them. I can get the Elkas in 2 - 3 weeks.

A lot of guys on here are saying over 7 months and for a non racer that's a long time. I want to be riding them by May early July at the latest.

Dave400ex
01-19-2003, 09:31 AM
I think the Elka's would be just fine for you. Rico races MX and XC and he just got a full set of Elka's. I will be racing XC and have Elka's. Since you are not racing they should be more then enough....

DirtDiggler
01-19-2003, 09:57 AM
That was what I thought. I just wanted to know what makes the PEP and Axis shocks better. A lot of guys say Elka is coming up but their not quite there and I wanted to know how they are lacking comparitively.
Thanks, Diggler

ESR250R
01-19-2003, 10:17 AM
i think elka's are just as well designed as pep or axis. i just think there valving is off. they are continually getting better at valving but at the expense of people getting shocks that dont ride right. if u order elka's order them through the quadshop. everyone that has ordered through them has said that jeff (or marty) did a good job valving there shocks. i ordered mine through elka and i was unhappy with the valving of the shocks. i am sending mine to the quadshop or to baldwin to be revalved.

OutlawEX
01-19-2003, 10:25 AM
I want a set of PEP zps shocks. The problem is my dealer says 3 months and Baldwin says 8 - 10 weeks. I know someone getting those shocks from Baldwin and it has been almost 10 months.

There has to be something wrong there..My buddy orderd some PEP ZPS from baldwin in october and got them in december...I just ordered mine in december from baldwin and i got a few weeks left...If ur buddy "say's" he has been waiting 10 months,tell him to cancell his order and order straight from pep they take 6 months right now...

DirtDiggler
01-19-2003, 10:32 AM
The dude waiting almost 10 months and still counting is briansgi from the ATV Connection forums. My dealer said 3 months some of the other guys on here said 7 months and your saying 6. Any way you slice it if I go PEP it sounds like no one is positive how long it could take.

I just want some high quality suspension for this summer.

ESR250R
01-19-2003, 10:42 AM
did u ever consider tcs

DirtDiggler
01-19-2003, 12:04 PM
I thought about TCS but I don't know anything about them. How are they compared to the others?

01-19-2003, 12:17 PM
tcs is the only other shock i'd run for motocross. i ordered my pep longtravel shocks from baldwinoct 12th and i shold have them next week sometime. the wait on shocks from baldwin is 8-10 weeks. if you can't wait that long you should get some tcs shocks. you can get them through denton racing, nac's racing, and ct racing i think.

01-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by DirtDiggler
My dealer said 3 months some of the other guys on here said 7 months and your saying 6. Any way you slice it if I go PEP it sounds like no one is positive how long it could take.

The reason your getting such different answers is because people who dont have PEP hear stories and hear how it takes awhile so one guy will say o 4 months then it will slowly turn into you have to wait 5 months 6 months then soon people are saying rediculous things like a year. Then you ask the people who have ordered them and then its only 2 months, 3 months maybe longer or shorter depending on the tme of year. When i ordered my PEP they said 3 months. I recently just talked to wayne and he said like 2-3 weeks longer which would come out to a little less then 3 months. you cant always listen to everyone

Dave400ex
01-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Well no matter how long the wait is, you will be waiting a couple months for PEP at least. TCS is also another great shock, that a lot of people forget about, and there really shouldn't be much of a wait. PEP, TCS, Elka, and Axis are all great Shocks. PEP has a long wait. Elka's valving may not be spot on. Axis is expensive and there is a small wait. TCS?????? I still like my Elka's though....

01-19-2003, 01:03 PM
TCS are also very good shocks. From what i understand Axis and Elka are more XC shocks and PEP and TCS are more MX. They are all very high quality compared to stock though

DirtDiggler
01-19-2003, 01:11 PM
thanks for all the replies guys.

I do know for a fact that briansgi (username) at the Connection has been waiting almost 10 months and still counting for his PEP shocks. I really want PEP I'm just trying to wiegh all the options for my situation.

01-19-2003, 01:40 PM
i would cancel the order and get tcs if i was him. baldwin should be able to get you peps in 3 months or less. it all depends on the time of the year you order too.