PDA

View Full Version : Ice Racing Settup

jpfmotors
12-12-2009, 05:57 PM
just sharing some pics of my xc quad setup for some ice racing need to do something seeing that its 20 degrees this past week ice racing starts jan 3 let me know what you think and any advise thanks

jpfmotors
12-12-2009, 05:58 PM
2nd

jpfmotors
12-12-2009, 05:59 PM
3rd

patrickj75
12-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Looks really good. The only thing I would add is a swaybar.

jpfmotors
12-13-2009, 06:22 AM
ya i was thinking of making up a sway bar but i dont know the points that i would bolt it to the frame in front

patrickj75
12-13-2009, 07:54 AM
It bolts to the front (bumper side) upper a-arm bolts and then down by the bottom shock bolt. Rath makes short links and clamps that bolt to the upper a-arms for $60. Go to their site and watch the pics on the front page. You'll see a pic of my KTM with this setup. I have a friend that makes swaybars. You could use the Rath clamps/links with the swaybar.

jpfmotors
12-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey patrickj75 do have any ideia of how much bigger i can go on my main jett to get a little more top end i have a 168 main with hrc lid I want to just take the lid off and then with the cold air i dont know how much it will affect it I was thinking of a least a 170 -175 any suggestions

patrickj75
12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
On my KTM I think I ran around a 195 main. THat was at 10 degrees of temp. I just had the snorkel out of the airbox. I'm not sure if there is a jetting formula that tells you how big to go according to the temp. I got a recomendation from someone.

Scro
12-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by jpfmotors
Hey patrickj75 do have any ideia of how much bigger i can go on my main jett to get a little more top end i have a 168 main with hrc lid I want to just take the lid off and then with the cold air i dont know how much it will affect it I was thinking of a least a 170 -175 any suggestions

I run a 175, with no lid in the winter.

jpfmotors
12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
How cold is the winter in alabama i will be racing in about 20 degree wheather but i think then i will try a 175

braybray08
12-15-2009, 11:57 AM
You might have to adjust your camber when ya use the stock shocks on the LT ars fx, it looks like you have negative camber
2nd

Scro
12-15-2009, 12:02 PM
How cold is the winter in alabama i will be racing in about 20 degree wheather but i think then i will try a 175

It gets down to around freezing. Anything below that, I don't ride anyway lol.

jpfmotors
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
braybray08 i wish i could adjust my camber but my ball joints are in all the way in i would like to run the tops of the tire in more, i always get confuse neg post camber

Scro i hear that to cold and i cant use the clutch or hold on just need to do something in the off season to stay on my quad

hotrodbelair
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
id raise it up some. dont half to be low to be fast my first year switching to my 450r that thing hated to be low handle much better raised up a little bit i think it was around 5 inches in the rear and closer to 6 in the front that will also help with your camber issue. i know with mine even with me sitting on it the aarms a little bit higher from sitting paralell to the ground. are you racing oval or tt?

jpfmotors
12-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Left turns all day i still have not measured with me on it will be doing that this weekend

hotrodbelair
12-16-2009, 01:06 PM
heres a picture of the front to give you an idea

hotrodbelair
12-16-2009, 01:07 PM
and heres one of the side. what size are the front tires ur running?

hotrodbelair
12-16-2009, 01:09 PM
oops forgot the pic

jpfmotors
12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
18 rears and 21 fronts razor 2s that just what i had around i am just racing for the fun but doing the best with what i got around the shop

hotrodbelair
12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
those aint bad theres alot of people in my series that like running 21 inch tires. youll figure it out once you get out there and find out what you have and start messin with stuff figure out what works best.

have fun with ridding on ice with studs is a blast. i aint ice racing this year just messin around mostly.

jpfmotors
12-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice cant wait just a few more weeks

drillteamleader
12-17-2009, 09:32 AM
What do you guys do with your tires? Last year lost a lot of studs, so I got some chen cings and studded them with 1/2" studs. The tires I was running last year would go flat in about half an hour. I had them slimed, but when It was real cold the slime wouldn't seal them up.

hotrodbelair
12-17-2009, 10:54 AM
I usually run shing shin rears and razor mx fronts with 3/4 inch studs. id have the tire mounted on the rims i over inflate the tire more than what i usualy run that way when you let the air out to where you usualy run the tire grips the studs better.

but next set i stud im gonna run 1/2 studs so i aint gotta worry about them goin all the way through the tire. another thing to remember when you put studs go realy slow screwing them in.

I made the mistake goin to fast on my first set threw studs left and right and had to get new tires. hope this helps,

patrickj75
12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
I ran 5/8" in the front and 1" in the rear with nuts. Anything less than an 1" and they would pull out for me.

hotrodbelair
12-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by patrickj75
I ran 5/8" in the front and 1" in the rear with nuts. Anything less than an 1" and they would pull out for me.

how you been doin patrick you doin any ice racing this year? i aint running the series but theres a one hour endurance race on a 2mile gp course I might hit up just to try it out.

yea i never nutted them on the inside didnt feel like sticking the time into it lol. the way mine are setup i can go through half a season before i would start pulling studs even then i wouldnt i wouldnt pull aot studs out. wich i even have a couple of decent studded tires gather through out the years so i have spares if i need them.

patrickj75
12-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
how you been doin patrick you doin any ice racing this year? i aint running the series but theres a one hour endurance race on a 2mile gp course I might hit up just to try it out.

yea i never nutted them on the inside didnt feel like sticking the time into it lol. the way mine are setup i can go through half a season before i would start pulling studs even then i wouldnt i wouldnt pull aot studs out. wich i even have a couple of decent studded tires gather through out the years so i have spares if i need them.

I'm doing good. I'm taking the winter off so I can have money for next year. You should come over here next year, we'll have a bunch of TT's.

hotrodbelair
12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
next year ill try to make it out there. the tt track that was close to me got closed down by the dnr. hopefully ill have more money to go to more races next summer.

400excracer
12-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Definitely need a swaybar. It also looks like you have tood many studs in your tires. I run Chen Chins on the front and 3 rib tractor tires on the front. I also run 1" studs and put a nylon nut on the screw inside the tire. This adds a little weight, but prevents the screw from pulling out and helps seal the air so it holds pressure. Talk to the guys that are fast and I am sure that they will give you some helpful hints on your set up. It is more about the setup than your motor. Have Fun!

jpfmotors
12-18-2009, 05:14 AM
I was wondering if i might have a to many studs in the rear tires they are turf tamers with 2 studs evry knod it was like 850 studs per tire. I also have another set of rears cst with one stud per knob but i guess that i can only trie and see what happens

kreidy818
12-18-2009, 09:27 AM
One stud per knob is perfect, I ran a set of tires at sturbridge 2 years ago with 2 studs per knob and i just skated on top of the ice, I use an old set of turf tamers with one stud per knob And two in the outside row, only turfs dont hold studs that well.

jpfmotors
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
KREIDY R going to be racing there this year?

kreidy818
12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
I think me and Mike B are gonna do some unstudded action this year. You should come out with us on some of our winter nite rides in breakneck, they are always a good time!

jpfmotors
12-18-2009, 07:00 PM
ya tell mike to hit me up he got my #

Arsene Racing
12-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I know and i'm sure that is a lot of work for you to build your tires but you put a lot to much of screws in it !!

you will probably float on the ice . your set-up dont let the screws ''crush'' and go deeper more possible .

I dont know if it is your first ice tire set-up but ordinary , you have to built somes to find the right set-up !!

jpfmotors
12-21-2009, 05:09 AM
i have the ones in the pic and another set that i am going to trie yes its my first time on the ice racing atleast

jpfmotors
01-01-2010, 04:02 PM
does anyone know whats a good tire pressure for ice would

patrickj75
01-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Start at around 8-10 psi. When the ice is hard you want a softer tire and the opposite when the ice is soft.

Arsene Racing
01-02-2010, 04:15 PM
never go under 10 lbs because your screws can move it too much and you'll can loose it and have a lot of slow leak.

kreidy818
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
ready for sunday??

jpfmotors
01-07-2010, 06:38 AM
ya they were suppose to have them last week but well see if they have them this sunday
I just got my sway bar so iam setting that up today after work

kreidy818
01-07-2010, 10:09 AM
check A1's web site , he's having problems and I;m not sure they are gonna run A1 parts .biz

jpfmotors
01-08-2010, 02:38 PM
So Ii just went out on the ice at the local lake shoveled off a small track and now I got some ???????s
So heres a pic of two sets of tires which would be better the left ones I used today I have not used the right ones.
My quad seams to push a little in the middle of the turns do I need more studds up front or could it be something eltse. I got my sway bar on and dont exactly know how to set it up should i load one side of the sway bar? I race just left turns. I also feel like I am not getting traction out of the corners but it might be cause a little snow still on the ice in places. If any one can help that would be awsome.

kreidy818
01-08-2010, 02:52 PM
the ones on the right will work better for you , I went thru that same process the last time i ran studded, maybe double up the outside row. I think we're going to a Holland resivoir tommorow and heard some one plowed a track, I'll let you know.

hotrodbelair
01-08-2010, 07:22 PM
yea run the ones on the right. as for the pushing problem i just fixed the problem with my quad either half to lower the front or raise the rear i couldnt go lower with my front so i raised the rear handles awsome now. another thing idk if you have aftermarket rear axle or not but spaceing the right rear wheel out will loosing it up to. hope this helps

jpfmotors
01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
how much higher should the rear be than the front. i think i am ar 5 1/2 inches while i am sitting onit front and rear. Ya I guess i am going to trie the other tires.

hotrodbelair
01-08-2010, 07:43 PM
thats about where im at in the rear and 6 inches in the front. ive always had problems with hondas pushing just takes time to get them right. do you have an aftermarket axle? I never messed with the sway bar on ice i just left it nuetral.

jpfmotors
01-08-2010, 07:51 PM
ya i got an adjustable axle ill space the right side out a little more than the left. i guess ill leave the sway bar neutral.

jpfmotors
01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
So i just went out on the ice today with the new tires outside axle adjusted and my ride height adjusted. holy crap it hooks up nice i am really happy with it now thanks for the help. the fisrt race is suppose to be sunday the 17th ill let you know how it turns out

hotrodbelair
01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
thats awsome to hear, glad you got it figured out and good luck to ya on the race.