PDA

View Full Version : 06 trx450r with 05 carb

quadfmx
12-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Ive seen and heard of people doing this and dont understand the performance gain? In 04 guys were putting fcr dirtbike carbs on the 450 quad then,
Im ready now on xc bikes people are installing 05 carbs on the 06+ bikes,
I thought the 04/05 carb was the same,
whats the benfit to this mod?
Ive dont searches but cant find anything

coryatver
12-12-2009, 06:01 PM
smooths the powerband out for xc racing. Also a lot easier to tune and more reliable.

86250rrider
12-13-2009, 10:21 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^^^^ smooth as glass , no hit !:D now for motorcross ...fcr may be the ticket

blacknblue#2
12-13-2009, 12:34 PM
i understand the smoother powerband, The FCR does come in harder which i love. But why do ppl say the 05 carb is more reliable?? whats unreliable on the FCR??

coryatver
12-13-2009, 12:55 PM
FCR's are a very high performance carb. If the temperature changes throughout the day the quad can run bad and need an air screw adjustment. If the jetting is not spot on they can make it difficult to start, start hot and so on. Get a tiny spec of dirt in them and its over. The 04/05 carbs are just more forgiving. The FCRs are very finicky and touchy. I run a FCR though I love the hit they have. If your asking about what is different about the design I couldn't tell you.

2muchquad
12-24-2009, 10:29 PM
If the temperature changes throughout the day the quad can run bad and need an air screw adjustment

Fcr carbs and most 4 stroke performance carbs have fuel screws<air screws are before the carb slide on 2 strokes.;)

Ruf Racing
12-25-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm confused as to why a round slide carb. would be perfered over a flat slide for any type of racing? :ermm:

airmobile101
12-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
I'm confused as to why a round slide carb. would be perfered over a flat slide for any type of racing? :ermm:
Well, for a woods racer, a FCR carb can be a tad too much to handle in tight woods. Very easy to hit the throttle and tree yourself:D I think it moreless comes down to rider skills and the engine mods. I know I sure the hell wouldn't want a FCR carb on a heavy modded 450r in the woods!

86250rrider
12-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Well, for a woods racer, a FCR carb can be a tad too much to handle in tight woods. Very easy to hit the throttle and tree yourself:D I think it moreless comes down to rider skills and the engine mods. I know I sure the hell wouldn't want a FCR carb on a heavy modded 450r in the woods!

thats my thinking....smooth is better in the cut !!!!! my 05 stocker is plenty responsive and i see no real advantage to mess with it. it has never given me any issues whatsoever. my engine runs hard and i dont need any more hit to it at all. im happy as can be until my crank goes !!!!!:D

fastredrider44
12-25-2009, 09:03 PM
It's been my experience that the 05 carb is a little more resistant to getting a piece of trash stuck. It always seemed like the FCR was either perfect, or not worth having, whereas the 05 carb was a little more forgiving, but yes, it definately has less of a hit.

Ruf Racing
12-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

airmobile101
12-26-2009, 09:39 AM
So people don't get confused, The entire carb swap thing is a XCR thing. Kinda like, "Its a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" lol. If you run MX, then by all means, run a FCR carb. Alot of guys that run XCR don't want that "snap" from a FCR carb. And usually those are the guys that have a heavy modified engine. Now,IMO. If your a XCR guy thats running a FCR carb with little engine mods, then you will be ok. Meaning, Cam and pipe and thats it(06-current). Just an opinion

;)