PDA

View Full Version : question for pappy (or anyone) about powder coating thr R frame

#17YFZRACER
12-12-2009, 10:49 AM
i want to do a lime green pc job on my R frame and swingarm. is sandblasting the aluminum a bad idea? kinda thought that is was but not sure. any input would be nice. thanks

florentino
12-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
i want to do a lime green pc job on my R frame and swingarm. is sandblasting the aluminum a bad idea? kinda thought that is was but not sure. any input would be nice. thanks

there is lots of types of sand blasting real hard sand and soft powder they even used plastic beads. i dont think it will hurt as they should know how to sand blast aluminum..

yfzrider690
12-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I have bead blasted aluminum before with no problems, it's the same as sand blasting but like florentino said they use little plastic beads instead and it doesn't damage or make marks in the aluminum.

#17YFZRACER
12-13-2009, 05:11 PM
alright guys thanks for all the help

hendershot106
12-14-2009, 09:09 AM
U can always buy some aircraft grade aerosol paint stripper...spray the frame down with it...use a hand wirebrush to scuff it off then wash the frame down with a cleaner like simple green or awesome to reduce actual blasting on the frame itself.

If you have most of the paint off prior to blasting; all the blaster will need to do is lightly go over it to assure its rough and clean for pc.

I use this trick even on my old honda frames to reduce sandblasting time and charges from the blasters.

You can usually find the aerosol aircraft grade stripper for 5-10 bucks at advance or autozone.

Pappy
12-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Aluminum should be media blasted with an 80 grit at medium line pressure before PC...do them all the time

#17YFZRACER
12-15-2009, 05:37 PM
alright. i need the frame, a arms, subframe, and swing arm all pc'd. could you pm me a price or just post it here if you would rather. thanks