PDA

View Full Version : GOPRO helmet Camera's.....

Ryan
12-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I was thinking about getting a GOPRO helmet cam to mess around with for next year. I've noticed there are a couple different ones, but priced the same. I'd love to get the HD version, but its a little to expensive. Im really not trying to dump 300 on an hd, unless I can find it cheeper. Here is the site I was lookin at - http://shop.helmetcameracentral.com/all-helmet-cameras/brand/gopro/?gclid=CMKylKeO0Z4CFVw55QodUi_Nrw . Im wondering which cam out of the cheeper bunch has a better quality? I've seen some gopro videos where the quality seems ok, and some that are just aweful. So lets see what everyone has and how they like them.

BLU82
12-12-2009, 08:32 AM
The bottom four all the same camera with different mounts, and the cheapest without any mount. You're probably looking for the 189.99 one with the helmet mount.

fastredrider44
12-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Save your money and go after the HD. You won't be disappointed! It's a pretty good improvement over the standard, more so than just picture quality. :)

Canadian144
12-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Yup... all of the non-HD ones are the same, the only difference is the mounts that are included.

I bought my Hero Wide Motorsports back in November at Magic's Racing in Michigan for $170... added an 8GB SD card and I love it!

Here are some videos I've taken with it:

Latest one I've made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV0sJUbt9bw

First one I made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaeSWX5nks8

Robin Hood
12-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Might be worth it to set up an account over at sponsorhouse and try to get a sponsorship from them.

I've been sponsored by them for 2 years now and I love their cameras. Can't wait to pick up an HD! :devil:

Ryan
12-13-2009, 11:45 PM
cool video canadian.

I've been thinkin and I should just spend the extra cash and get the HD version. Tbe qually is so much better. Anyone have videos with the HD cam, post em up.

12-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Canadian144
Yup... all of the non-HD ones are the same, the only difference is the mounts that are included.

I bought my Hero Wide Motorsports back in November at Magic's Racing in Michigan for $170... added an 8GB SD card and I love it!

What do you guys use to keep it on the helmet?

Canadian144
12-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
cool video canadian.

I've been thinkin and I should just spend the extra cash and get the HD version. Tbe qually is so much better. Anyone have videos with the HD cam, post em up.

Thanks man! And yeah, the HD quality looks a lot better... I should have just waited and bought it, but I will probably upgrade to it next year anyways. And I also figured out how to get my sound working, so my next video should be a lot better haha.

Originally posted by Nova

Well they include these little pieces of plastic that the camera can clip into.... they have some RIDICULOUSLY strong 3M tape stuff on them and will not budge after you put them on.

KXRida
12-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Canadian144
Thanks man! And yeah, the HD quality looks a lot better... I should have just waited and bought it, but I will probably upgrade to it next year anyways. And I also figured out how to get my sound working, so my next video should be a lot better haha.

Well they include these little pieces of plastic that the camera can clip into.... they have some RIDICULOUSLY strong 3M tape stuff on them and will not budge after you put them on.

not that I'm picky or anything, but I would want something removable from the helmet. Didn't they have suction cups or something before? I dunno it's just I'd rather not stick a big 3m adhesive patch on a $400 helmet. I'm still toying with the idea of getting one. They had them the last time I raced steel city and I was thinking of grabbing one before the race but didn't because I didn't have batteries or an extra SD card with me. Check ebay. Ebay has had some pretty good deals lately.

Ryan
12-14-2009, 11:30 AM
I agree with you there kx. And if you only get a few adhesive pads, you would have to order extra pads if you wanted to use the camera on a bunch of different machines and places.... Right? What are the full options and features of these camera's?

hypersnyper6947
12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I have been wanting one too. Never heard of the hero but the vids look good that canadian posted.

Edit: ok the hero is the gopro....... got it:blah:

Canadian144
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
not that I'm picky or anything, but I would want something removable from the helmet. Didn't they have suction cups or something before? I dunno it's just I'd rather not stick a big 3m adhesive patch on a $400 helmet. I'm still toying with the idea of getting one. They had them the last time I raced steel city and I was thinking of grabbing one before the race but didn't because I didn't have batteries or an extra SD card with me. Check ebay. Ebay has had some pretty good deals lately.

Originally posted by Ryan
I agree with you there kx. And if you only get a few adhesive pads, you would have to order extra pads if you wanted to use the camera on a bunch of different machines and places.... Right? What are the full options and features of these camera's?

Well the mount that goes on the helmet is really quite small... I will try to post a pick up of mine sometime soon.

It comes with like 6-8 adhesive pads (can't remember exact number), and half of them are flat and the other half curved. I have the curved one on my helmet right now, and that is the only one I've used.

The pad is basically a "dock".... you clip in a mount which allows you to lock the camera to the mount and therefore to the helmet.

The Motorsports version comes with a suction cup... you can attach it to the side of some helmets (works with my Fox helmet), but it also works great for mounting on fenders and on windows in cars/UTVs (one of the first videos I made testing out the camera was driving around in our STI with it attached to the window, it seemed to work fine).

OH and you can also purchase some other mounts... like there is one that is a handlebar mount, it will really attach to any pipe.... ex a bumper or your grab bar.

hondarider110
12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
gopro cheaper? they have a sponsorship on sponsorhouse. which is like 30% off. so
$300 your looking at about a hundred bucks off.

CRE Performance
12-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Heres a few of mine made with the $189 Hero and a $12 card from walmart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHntqnk51E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2nEyKSeF5Q

Just look by these videos as you watch them and click "see more videos by user", I have a ton of them on here.

250x_kyle
12-14-2009, 10:21 PM
me and my buddy were talken about picking two up for this riding season.the hd is looking like the way to go. but i guess i gotta build a new quad first.

Ryan
12-15-2009, 08:06 AM
I got suckered in and ordered one online :D . I spent the extra money and went for the HD hero motorsports.

I should of checked sponserhouse for it. I got it for $300 flat, comes with 4gb card. I couldn't find it anywhere cheaper. These things are selling quickly before the holiday, it seems.

Now all I gotta do is figure out what I need to support hd files. I don't have the HD moniter, but I can't even play files with the hd option on my computer. Im guessing I need an updated video card or something..?

scuzz
12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Nova

Mine stayed on my helmet even after my quad landing on my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yZl0sfHtW0

CRE Performance
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Mine stayed on my helmet even after my quad landing on my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yZl0sfHtW0

Nice vid:D Im waiting on my crash footage...Im sure it will happen.

BTW, as far as keeping it on, Im sure it wont stay on through a knarly crash or hitting a high speed branch, so what I did was take a hood pin wire (from an $7.99 hood pin kit for hot rods at autozone) and put one loop with my helmet cam bolt, and the other loop around my visor bolt. Its just a nice tiny wire but its strong and its great insurance.