PDA

View Full Version : 700xx shocks on 400ex??

Miami_Vice454
12-11-2009, 07:54 PM
my buddy got a 700xx and i noticed that they might fit on the 400 with no customization. they seem a little tall but if you get +2 arms with it they would be perfect. i rode it and it is such a nice smooth ride. you dont feel any bumps. (that IRS helps though lol). i would rather have these than 450 shocks cause they are too stiff IMO. anyone tried this? what you guys think??

Muzzgit
12-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I think you will find they will be too stiff. The 700XX is heavier and the shocks are bigger to handle the extra weight. Plus they are non adjustable, so you aren't really achieving anything.

Stock 400ex shocks work well with +2 Aarms, and at least the 450R shocks are adjustable.

The 700XX rides smoother because of the IRS.

Miami_Vice454
12-11-2009, 10:15 PM
your right they probably are stiff because its a havy bike. well thanks i think i get some 450 shocks and have them rebuilt for me.

bkelley
12-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Yeah, the 700XX front shocks are practically on par with the stock 400 shocks. Now, maybe the rears off the XX...

RCWells
12-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Ok, someone help me out on this. I rode my buds 450R a few weeks back, and to me it was pretty rough riding. Now, I had just gotten off my '09 Rubicon 500, which rides like a Cadillac by comparison, so maybe that's why it felt so rough. My 400 feels fine to me now, and I haven't been on his since getting my 400 so it might not be such a stark difference to me at this point.

My questions are these then:
1. How much different is the ride quality with the 450R shocks than the stock 400ex ones?
2. What is the benefit of the 450R shock, specifically?
3. Is the benefit primarily in the absorption of larger jumps? Or is it felt during "normal" riding as well?
4. What is a "good price" on NEW 450R shocks?
5. Are they worth the investment?
6. Better to invest in the shocks or exhaust/jet/intake setup?

tony400ex
12-13-2009, 08:04 AM
the 700 shocks would be way to stiff for a 400 there set up for the weight diffrence
and for the other guy ur rideing two diffrent style quads of course your gonna have a diffrent ride ,

katch26
12-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by RCWells

My questions are these then:
1. How much different is the ride quality with the 450R shocks than the stock 400ex ones?
3. Is the benefit primarily in the absorption of larger jumps? Or is it felt during "normal" riding as well?

1-2-3-5-6 Do you ever play racing video games? In the games its fun to make cars that are ridiculously fast but handle like shopping carts, right? real world riding not so much. The 450r shocks have full adjustability ride height compression rebound, and since they are all individually adjustable you'll have much more flexibility when it comes to setting them up for how you ride. They are also rebuildable if you want to take your set-up one step further. With that being said I always do the exhaust, filter first but I would put suspension next on the list before diggin in to the motor because the additional motor work will make the bike faster but the suspension will make you faster.
4. There is a ton of discrepency on the price of take-off shocks (new but not used) and Ive seen people getting them for $100 all the way to 300 depending on how badly the seller needs to move them.

coryatver
12-13-2009, 08:52 AM

450r shocks need revalved, resprung for the 400ex to work good. If you just put them on they will be stiff and won't perform correctly

They are a lot better performing shock the stock 400ex shocks are cheap junk the 450r are a lot more high performance and advanced design with a reservoir, adjustment and are a gas shock that can be serviced unlike the stock throw away shocks.

any shock better than stock will make it 10 times better in all conditions

You can get them for 150-200

Instead of getting shocks made for a different bike I would just buy HLS essential shocks they will cost the same as buying 450r shocks and getting them revalved and setup for the 400ex and will actually work better as they have better shock pistons internally which if you would get them put in the 450r shocks cost $175 more per shock

Suspension is the best mod you can make. It will make it a new bike. Much safer, and you will be able to ride faster and longer. Just do not buy 450r shocks and throw them on as they will not work correctly. Get them revalved. PM me any questions.

sc400ex_rider
12-18-2009, 01:49 AM
If you back the 450r shock preload collars all the way off there not so bad.

spearman_929
12-19-2009, 12:34 AM
i run the suzuki z400 shockd that have the rezi and they are much smoother than the 450r shocks. they are softer for someone who ways less im only 145 so the r shock are not as forgiving for me. and they fit just like the r shocks