PDA

View Full Version : ice tires

Trxman300
12-11-2009, 06:03 PM
hey guys,

i jusst purchased new itp gncc rear tires for my 300ex and i want to stud the mud lites that are on it. can i leave the tire on the rims and rims on the atv and just stud it up on a jack or something. i am going to get half inch hex-head screws to do this. so can i leave em on or what? can i leave the air in them also.

thanks guys.

400exrider707
12-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah you can leave them on, just as long as the screws are not longer than the lugs on your tires.;)

Trxman300
12-15-2009, 06:18 PM
no the lugs are not bigger than he screws.

well today after school i walked down to NAPA auto parts and they didnt have a box of half inch hex head so i said **** it, walked down to the building suply and they didnt have any......wtf

so i need to order some off line or something but am still looking for a site that sells boxes of them, (200 or +) screws... anyone know of a site?? thanks

daddio
12-16-2009, 09:12 AM
http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

400exrider707
12-16-2009, 01:23 PM
You NEED to get the actual gold ice kutter screws. Do not use the sheet metal screws, it will be a complete waste of your time. I know from experience. When I was younger we used the sheet metal screws and we hit the ice with them, I dont think they even lasted an hour... they rounded off on the ice and were virtually useless.

With the amount of time it takes to put the screws in, trust me, just spend the extra coin and do it right the first time.

Trxman300
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
alright thanks.

400exrider707...

are these what you are talking about?

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/12250.html?id=Asnn4iuz

daddio
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You NEED to get the actual gold ice kutter screws. Do not use the sheet metal screws, it will be a complete waste of your time. I know from experience. When I was younger we used the sheet metal screws and we hit the ice with them, I dont think they even lasted an hour... they rounded off on the ice and were virtually useless.

With the amount of time it takes to put the screws in, trust me, just spend the extra coin and do it right the first time.

That depends if you are ice racing or not. We have had good luck running off road with just screws.

400exrider707
12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Trxman300
alright thanks.

400exrider707...

are these what you are talking about?

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/12250.html?id=Asnn4iuz

Yes, those are the ones. They also have more aggressive threads and will hold in the tires better. You have two options... get screws that are shorter than your lug height, they hold OK, but if they rip out you wont get a flat tire. Or you can get one's that are longer and try to figure out a way to secure them inside the tire. I never had much luck with it, but it can be done. However if one of those pulls out you're going to have a flat tire, and that's no fun.

Originally posted by daddio
That depends if you are ice racing or not. We have had good luck running off road with just screws.

For all around riding we use actual snowmobile ice picks. They'll bite on any surface!