PDA

View Full Version : light weight steel bumpers

thomasgangross
12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
how many people are sick of buying aluminum bumpers?

if there was a steel model avaliable for your trail or race quad would you buy one

12-11-2009, 01:31 PM
i dont think the whole reason behind the aluminum bumpers is for wieght. i could be wrong, but my buddy built a AC stadium bumper out of thin walled steel. and i mean it looked 100% the same he painted it black and you couldnt even really tell it wasnt a AC bumper. untill one day he fell off the bike, it went off and hit a tree dead on. he pulled the bike out of the bush looked it over and everything sem straight, untill he started to ride it. the steel bumpers are too strong and it bent his frame and not the bumper. i would rather buy a bumper than a frame. just my opinion.

thomasgangross
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
have not had a problem so far with the steel bumper, the whole reasoning behind these bumpers we have made is to mount a tie down strap on them, it serves a great purpose for trail riding, run the strap to the ground or a tree, or another quad to tow you out, i know you could just get a winch, but there expensive, and not so apealing on a sport quad

just trying to innovate a new product to the recreational rider

TAZ450r
12-14-2009, 03:16 PM
just trying to innovate a new product to the recreational rider

me too, after my trashed alot of bumpers last summer i made a bumper like this...

http://i45.tinypic.com/wlr56t.jpg

this season i hasn't trashed a singel bumper, just bent a few mounts, but i made a coulple of raplacement mounts when i made the bumper last year so thats okey...

thomasgangross
12-14-2009, 04:40 PM
im in the stage of making a steel bumper, the weight isnt that much of a difference, most people complain about bending there frame, but a frame is made to take quite the bash, so if your bending the frame because your bumper was to strong, i mean you must have sent it into a brick wall or a cliff dive

the amount of times you will impact your front bumper and ruin your frame is probally 1000:1

keep an eye out for a company coming with steel bumpers for sport quads