View Full Version : Anyone here a fishing guide?

12-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Im thinking about starting an inshore fishing guide service. I live right on the water and ive been on the water my whole life (my dads a commercial fisherman). The chances are unlikely, but i figured i would see if anyone else on here has a job like that or knows someone that does.

dns1764
12-11-2009, 02:36 PM
my brother's friend has an offshore charter company. i dont know too much about it but the kid caught the worlds biggest male mako shark

J.Brown121
12-11-2009, 02:44 PM
how big was it?

Quad18star
12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I applied at a few fishing lodges last spring , but they all wanted a few years of guiding experience or Guide Certification. I looked into getting ym guide certificate , but ended up being busy the week that it was offered with mining training.

Maybe next spring I'll take the course . Seems pretty interesting ... especially since I've been looking at buying a fishing and hunting lodge.

12-11-2009, 05:01 PM
What all do you have to do to get your guide certification? Im really interested in doing it, i dont think anyone likes to go fishing more than me haha.

Quad18star
12-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by #101
What all do you have to do to get your guide certification? Im really interested in doing it, i dont think anyone likes to go fishing more than me haha.

You've met your match my friend. LOL . I'm on the waters every weekend from spring til fall ... then I go ice fishing during the winters. ;)

Umm ... there's a company here in Ontario that offers the certification. It's a week long course ... they teach you all the regulations in the area, fish identification, proper landing and release techniques, how to navigate fast waters ( rapids , high current), how to deal with guests , etc.

12-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Haha i dont know, i fish every day :P No ice fishing down here though. Ill probably get that certification early next year. Ill have to find a place around here that gives the course. It sure seems like a fun job - getting paid to go fishing

Quad18star
12-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Here's the website if you're interested at taking a look .

The fishing guide school takes part only a few hours from my hometown while the rest of the hunting and stuff is out in the rockie mountains.

http://www.guideschool.ca/

12-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Looks pretty interesting, hopefully theres one closer to my house though haha. I wonder if the course is any different here.

Quad18star
12-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Good luck with your search . This was one of the very few that I actually found.

I'm sure the courses would be diffeerent for the different types of fishing ... but some stuff would probably be similar ...like regulations , customer relations .

Your best bet would probably to get onboard with a local charter and help work the docks and get onto the boat to help rig the lines and stuff. Gain experience that way.

12-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Yea ive been on fishing boats my whole life so im pretty confident with that kinda stuff. It should be a fun job if i can get it all worked out. Thanks for the help

Quad18star
12-11-2009, 07:02 PM
No problem ... keep me posted on how it works out for you.

Pappy
12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Here in WV, if you can drink beer and tell lie's, you can be a guide!

Quad18star
12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Here in WV, if you can drink beer and tell lie's, you can be a guide!

So which one do you have mastered now?

"Buddy ... I swear ... it was this big (arms stretched as far as possible)"

As the Fisherman's Poem goes...

Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish like hell,
And make up lies.

Pappy
12-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I dont drink enough or lie well enough to qualify myself to catch minnows:p

Quad18star
12-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I dont drink enough or lie well enough to qualify myself to catch minnows:p

As pops always says ....It's never too late to start . :devil:

JJs450r
12-12-2009, 12:10 PM
gabe talk to some of them game wardens down your way im sure you know most of them im sure they can help you out some