PDA

View Full Version : 416ex break in time??

bcapien
12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I just did a 416cc kit on my 400ex.. I replaced CDI and Coil wi th AMR stage 2.. I added a stage 2 hot cam and also Eldelbrock Sig. Series carb.. What is the best way to break the motor in ?? How long do i ride nice and easy?? What octane should i run?? We started it lastnight and fied up instantly but had to re-adjust the valves a little bit so i will be going back over and starting again today.. I am not running a spal because its winter and very cold out but come spring i will be buying and addind a spal.. Any info that you can share with me would be great.. Thanks

honda400ex2003
12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
i did about 3-4 cycles of practice moto type riding. on and off the gas for about 15 minutes at a time. i went by this:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

it seems to have worked for me but there are alot of different feelings on this topic. this is another controversial topic like the k&n vs. uni, which one is faster a or b. stuff like that. lol. good luck, steve

siggy konowaluk
12-10-2009, 03:40 PM
i was lookin on some other forms and people said if you ware it in fast the quad will be fast and if you ware it in slow it will be slow. i sugest just ride it the way you normally do. not sure if this theory is true but noone had really complained. hope that helps

BRAD6160
12-10-2009, 03:49 PM
main thing is to put a few heat cycles through it. Let it cool down completly in between riding. You are just getting the rings to seat in.

ds268
12-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I'll be blunt with my opinion on breakin:
Break it in like you ride it. When I rebuilt mine, I rode it around fairly normal, by no means pushing the performance for the initial ride. Once it cooled down, I took it out and rode it as I do today, which is three years later. Runs perfect. The oil stayed clean after the breakin rides so I changed it like normal.

bigbad400
12-11-2009, 07:08 AM
do it like they do with hotrods... take it out do a burout for like 15 seconds at 3/4 throttle and let it cool for 5 min and drive it like you normally would. take a few cycles of hot then cold but dont baby it and dont thrash on it. just ride it.