PDA

View Full Version : turbo project

midnightride42
12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
so over the winter I might tackle a turbo project for a 400 I have at home.

issues that a lot of folks have when putting a turbo on the bike:
-how to run boost with the carb.
-low compression piston.

Here is my thought on the two above. For those of you that have experience feel free to chime in.

boost on carb:
I've talked to a few who run the carb on the intake side of the turbo. So usually where you have the filter you place the carb and of course put the filter on the intake side of the carb.
That eliminates the carb ever seeing boost. Yes the turbo basically sits under the seat then hidden so no one can see it. :P

low compression piston:
just take the stock piston, or get a aftermarket one and have it put down to a low compression.

I've seen this set up on a 350 and it ran nicely for many years. Of course you still need to jet it and find the right size turbo. Gotta be smal.

as for oiling the turbo, a fuel pump and a canister to hold the oil will take care of that.

you also have to build/obtain a plenum before the actual head...pushing direct boost/air into the intake of the head make it run really badly. building/obtaining a box shape and putting it inline resolves that issue. If you search most companies offering turbo kits for atv have a plenum like I mentioned.

If you think the above will not work please tell me why....like I said I've seen this set up on a 350 and it ran great for years.

I'm going to get a used t25 or smaller from like DSM etc..

I'll post pics as the project starts/finishes. I plan to do all the labor myself so cost should be well below 300.

hypersnyper6947
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
this thread should help you, its an old one

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344994&highlight=turbo

ds268
12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
I doubt a turbo from a dsm or most cars will be too big causing surge problems, especially a T25. Look for a garrett gt12 or a mitsu td03.

If you're serious about this, do a blow through set-up with the carb, its much easier to tune and start. Make sure all carb vents are referenced to the pressure of the turbo.

Fuel system is also another crutial aspect. This needs to be boost referenced to the intake pressure to keep up with the incoming air pressure.

Do lots and lots of research.

Do not use the stock piston. Be sure to get a quality forged piston and go for the lowest compression you can get. I highly recommend having the crank balanced to with the piston. I would be looking into a quality crank as well...

I wish you luck. I'd be loose with that buget...

monster400ex
12-11-2009, 07:15 PM
dont put the carb before the turbo i dont think that will work they make turbo kits for them ive seen in magazines on ebay just do alot of research