PDA

View Full Version : piston wipeout

togup
12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
crying and nashing of teeth at my house, i am lamenting the recent death of my newly rebuilt stroker.My question is how did i do it, the skirt and rings on the intake side are rubbed/worn off . IT locked up but when it cooled down it would turn over but would not fire. the damage is limited to the jug and piston the head looks good. I was not running my spal at the time because it was cool out

440/89mm CP stroker piston 11.5-1(dome top)
HotRods stroker crank
crf450 timing chain
port-polished head/with stock valves
450r 42mm kehin 225 main ,needle clip in the middle running lean
velocity intake with K&N no air box
HotRods stage 3 cam
MSD 8mm wire without factory resistor
full yoshi exhaust
running on 100 sunnoco
procom ignition

had been running on the lean side maybe to lean causing failure,what do yall think?

katch26
12-10-2009, 08:45 AM
somethings wrong if youre running a 225 and lean

togup
12-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree but it starts easy runs(ran) good no popping bottom middle were good top felt like i could have more but i was still taking it easy on the top due to break in and all. My plug was very light tan almost clean .the top of the piston was a dark gold color probably from oil getting by

katch26
12-10-2009, 09:36 AM
heat from a lean mixture will discolor that too. since the damage is intake side, is it possible to have had a air leak somewhere?, stuff getting past the filter?

riotact
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm gonna say that it was not broke in properly or the end gap on the piston rings was to tight.

togup
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by katch26
[B]heat from a lean mixture will discolor that too. since the damage is intake side, is it possible to have had a air leak somewhere?, stuff getting past the filter? [/

air leaks that could damage the piston that bad that quick would be noticible ,air leaks make your engine idle very high and run like crap mine run good

i think riotact might be on to some thing

katch26
12-10-2009, 11:05 AM
maybe but it also sounds like your bike was jetted for an air leak....at that point any normal indications would be out the window. These are just different options, he may be right.

togup
12-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by katch26
maybe but it also sounds like your bike was jetted for an air leak....at that point any normal indications would be out the window. These are just different options, he may be right.

yea i smell what your steppin in ,im kinda leary about that brand of piston (CP) yall think i should go to the hotrods brand stroker piston next?

katch26
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by togup
yea i smell what your steppin in ,im kinda leary about that brand of piston (CP) yall think i should go to the hotrods brand stroker piston next?

lol CP makes a good piston, so does JE and wiseco.....actually theyre all pretty good. The HR piston is probably made by one of those 3 so it would just be same thing different sticker.

togup
12-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by katch26
lol CP makes a good piston, so does JE and wiseco.....actually theyre all pretty good. The HR piston is probably made by one of those 3 so it would just be same thing different sticker.

yea probably ,the CP is a dome top with deep valve reliefs and the hot rods is a flat top with shallow reliefs i dont know about JE never had one of them but i will search to see if they have the stroker piston

togup
12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
JE does make a stroker piston it cheaper to just under 200$ they have a 12-1 and a 11.8-1 comp