PDA

View Full Version : bad idle problem

ofnaracer101
12-10-2009, 01:28 AM
i have a 2001 400ex that sat for a while so took out old gas clean the carb and the jets to put the pillet jet back to stock settings 2 -1/4 turns out and the bike runs but when at idle it makes a small pop noise every couple of secs but only when its idle when i give it gas it doesn't do it any more someone told me i should just get the carb dipped just looking for what ever help i can get with this thanks...:confused:

tony400ex
12-12-2009, 06:42 AM
my buddys quad did that to him when he kept it at my house, it wound up being a miss fire.. i cleaned his air filter, new spark plug, new gas, i dipped the carb in clean gas i let is soak over night then i took a little pin and whent threw every jet, i replaced the spring and float in the bowl, the quad started right up with no more popping

tri5ron
12-12-2009, 11:55 AM
try another 1/4 to 1/2 turn out on your A/F screw.

katch26
12-12-2009, 02:28 PM
so youre doing 2 1/4 turns out on the jet itself....theres your problem. The turns out should be on the a/f mixture screw not the jet itself, the jet needs to be in there securely. Also check to make sure all your hose fittings and carb connections are nice and tight. The reason it only does it at idle and not when you give it gas is because the carb is off the idle circuit (pilot, a/f screw) after that.