PDA

View Full Version : brake question

siggy konowaluk
12-09-2009, 06:50 PM
im changing the front brake pads on my quad and i need to push the thing in that is behind the inside brake pad for the new brake pads to fit in. i was trying to squeez it together with some channel locks but it wassnt working. thanks for your help!

honda400ex2003
12-09-2009, 07:05 PM
make sure you take the reservoir cover off that is on the bars, then it should move in relatively easy. you will still need the channel locks but it should move with some force in the middle of it. try to get it flush or slightly in from the edge of the caliper and the pads will slide right in. you will have to slide the mounting hardware in again but that is just a matter of getting it to where it slides on the rotor. after you are done pump them back up, make sure the tires are stopping correctly then take it slow for a bit to wear them in properly.
good luck, steve

siggy konowaluk
12-09-2009, 07:10 PM
ok thanks

honda400ex2003
12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
no prob, good luck. steve

tony400ex
12-12-2009, 06:45 AM
if you take the cap off the resivor you may lose to much fluid i do brakes all the time for my body shop, leave everything closed, use a c clamp , leave one old pad on compressd the c clamp till the caliper pin slides all the way and cant go no more, reinstall the pads put it all back on the hug pump the brake lver till hard and do the same to the other side,
when you wind up opening the lid you get ai in the line then you have to bleed the system that takes more time then ever unless you have the bleeder tool

slightlybent47
12-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by tony400ex
if you take the cap off the resivor you may lose to much fluid i do brakes all the time for my body shop, leave everything closed, use a c clamp , leave one old pad on compressd the c clamp till the caliper pin slides all the way and cant go no more, reinstall the pads put it all back on the hug pump the brake lver till hard and do the same to the other side,
when you wind up opening the lid you get ai in the line then you have to bleed the system that takes more time then ever unless you hav.e the bleeder tool

I never open anything up to replace the pads. I use a socket with some channel locks and just push it in. And I leave the one pad on when I push it in. Tony 400ex is right don’t take the cover off. And another note don’t push the cylinder in to far or it will push dirt past the seal and will cause a leak in the seal

Muzzgit
12-12-2009, 10:47 AM
What does the owners manual say? If it said to open the reservoir and bleed the system, they wouldn't say this without a good reason.

slightlybent47
12-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
What does the owners manual say? If it said to open the reservoir and bleed the system, they wouldn't say this without a good reason.

All I know is I never bleed anything, front or back. I just push in the piston and put the new pads in and that’s it. No fuss on muss.
And if I’m thinking right the break res. has a breather hole in it so as the break fluid drops it can draw in air into the top of the res. So if you just push in the piston the fluid will return to the res.

But I think I’ve been wrong at least once in my life so this could be another one. LOL!!!!!!

alex10
12-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Opening the reservoir does not introduce any air into the system.

slightlybent47
12-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by alex10
Opening the reservoir does not introduce any air into the system.

Yeah your right, I don’t see how it could unless it’s empty.

Muzzgit
12-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Usually, and this counts for everything.....car truck bike or quad, when your pads are worn and due for new ones......... so is your brake fluid! And brake fluid is cheap.

Replace the pads and push some new clean fluid through the system.

Brake fluid breaks down and becomes ineffective.

This is, after all, a safety feature with your life and your health at heart.

honda400ex2003
12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
i have never none any bleeding on my brakes. I also open the lids up on cars and such when i do brakes on them. opening them does not introduce air or moisture in without it being sucked dry. steve

katch26
12-12-2009, 12:36 PM
big c clamp.

tony400ex
12-13-2009, 06:26 AM
iv been doing brakes on car's,quds and dirt bikes since i was like 16 im know 30...i know everyone does them diffrent but not once have i read of any of you guys mentioning grease on the sliders so the caliper doesnt stick up cause of all the dirt , and one of the comments the guy was right dont push the caliper to far due to dirt getting behind the rubber boot. and for brake fluid changing every time you do brakes i never heard of that.... i know in my years of doing brakes you only change it if the color is turning blackish in color,

jcs003
12-13-2009, 06:42 AM
on an offroad machine it is common practice to change brake fliud when pads need changed. it is inexpensive and good maintenance practice.