PDA

View Full Version : tire plys

Todd
01-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Time to get some new rubber . I have narrowed the choices down to razors or shredders , but my question is i ride all different terrains sand , clay,hard pack dirt ,mx tracks ,trails,light mud(try to avoid as much as possible) and was wondering how much diff. would there be in durability between 4 an 6 ply we just cut some trails and dont want to stab a hole in new tires , but wasnt sure if i could make it on 4ply or if i needed 6ply.
todd

toby400ex
01-18-2003, 10:10 PM
If i was to buy any new tires i would get some six-ply razors. I got the 4-ply cuz i was in a jam and everyone was out of the six-ply. The first race I had i got a 1 inch long hole right between the treads, all the people i talked to said i shoulda got the 6-ply. But 5 plugs in that hole fixed it. Go with six-ply, you wont regret it.;)

Todd
01-18-2003, 10:25 PM
da@$ 5 plugs ! sounds like i may have to go with the 6 ply. my buddy has razors and he loves them but i was leaning towards the shredders because of price and i wanted to try something diff, i heard they were about the same.
thanks todd

jb400exxx
01-19-2003, 08:42 AM
i have a 3 year old set of 4 ply razors on my 400ex. they only have 1 plug in them. i just put a little gash in the right front about 2 months ago. that's the only hole they have had in 3 years. they wear pretty nice too. they are just now bad enough that they need to be replaced.

northeast400
01-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Your wonder about price but you get what you pay for

300exryder
01-19-2003, 06:49 PM
i had 2 ply Mud Busters for 1 year and they only got one hole, and that was from a large thorn, or sharp stick (it was a really big thorn i think) Now i have Realtors and no problems yet. In the spring i will be looking for 4 ply, no need for 6 ply -- added weight and i guess the rocks just arent as sharp on the East coast :confused: