PDA

View Full Version : Steering stem bearing help

CJM
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Ok, I managed to mangle the crud out of whats left of the bearing and I cannot find the damn snap ring to take off.

I cleaned the junk out of it too and dont see a thing? Is the snap ring on the top or bottom of the bearing?

tayyo789
12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
its supposed to be on top of the bearing

CJM
12-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Ok found the snap ring on top of the bearing after cleaning tons of crud off, my snap ring pliers ALMOST remove it but keep slipping off.

This is the kind I have, they have different ends you can put on. Only kind that would even come close to working are some right angle ones.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/558644_lg.jpg

Anyone have another brand of snap ring plier that may work? Or maybe since its a cheap part, could I cut the clip off with a dremel?

mtrombla08
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
try to get it to pry out a little then work a small flathead into the gap. then just use screwdrivers to work it out. just make sure u straightenit back out in a vise or with a hammer for easier installation.

CJM
12-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Yea, ill try the screw driver method. Found a pair of large needlenose im gonna give a try tommorow too.

Also ordered some stuff from bikebandit today so i nabbed 3 of those clips just incase.

CJM
12-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Tried screw driver method and even went out and borrowed some better snap ring pliers. The dang thing compresses then slips off every time.

Cant seem to even get the clip to ring to move unless I use both hands anyways so I cant even jamb a pick or screwdriver in there.

Im going to get the dremel and cut the sucker out..

CJM
12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Cut it out with a dremel, tried really hard not to nick the frame and managed an ok job..

Ugh I hope the new one goes in easier..

gtt416ex
12-10-2009, 02:39 PM
i never had that problem with the snap ring, it came out with no problem. But the bearing on the other hand was a b****, the inner race popped out cause it was so worn out and it took forever to get the outer race to come out.

CJM
12-10-2009, 03:00 PM
I honestly dont know why it was such a pain to get out. I would get it to compress then the pliers would slip right off time and time again.

I literally smashed the entire bearing out after messing with the snap ring so much anyways. Im waiting for my new snap ring to come atm. Local dealers worthless for parts-they said 2 weeks.. How can you not carry such a common part in stock?

gtt416ex
12-10-2009, 04:56 PM
some dealerships are like that, my local dealer didn't start stocking oil filters until about a year ago:ermm:

CJM
12-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Okay. New problem, I got the new bearing kinda in-it wont go in further and Im afraid to damage it.

I drove it in from the top, it seems it cant fit in on the bottom-I hope thats the right way. It just wont go any further it seems than to be flush with the frame itself. The old one was much lower.

Am I doing something wrong here? The 400ex shop manual has nothing to really help at all on this. Just says drive out and thats it.

CJM
12-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Anyone?

Im kinda at a loss here cause the manual sucks and I DESTROYED the other bearing getting it out.

I mean it should tap in just fine from the top no?

NacsMXer
12-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes it goes in from the top and comes out from the top.

I just replaced my stem bearing for the first time a few weeks ago. I made sure to put a very thin film of grease in the "bearing cup" in the frame to prevent the bearing from seizing in there in the future.

I used a big socket to bang out the old bearing, but when installing the new bearing I chose to buy a bearing and seal driver kit from Harbor Freight. I simply placed the bearing square in the hole at the top, and then tapped it home with the bearing driver and hammer.

You can tell when you still have more to go, and when the bearing is bottomed out all the way by the sound it makes with each tap. When the bearing cannot go any further, it will make a much louder solid knock type sound. You will know when the bearing can't go in any further.

If it is flush with the top of the cup in the frame, that is not good enough, you need to go further. It needs to be about 1/4" deep in the hole, so the grease seal can fit in the cup on top of it. When everything is said and done, the seal itself should be flush with the top of the cup in the frame.

If something is hanging up on it, don't force it. Try tapping it back out from the bottom and possibly cleaning/greasing up the hole a tiny bit. It also helps to put the bearing in the freezer for several hours before you drive it in (I did, and it went in smoothly).

CJM
12-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Yea I greased it up to make sure it went in properly.

Backstory is the C-clip wouldnt come out and then the bearing basically was frozen in there and I DESTROYED it and hopefully not the housing.

Im thinking there is a burr in there somewhere or I messed up the stinking frame area there.

Thanks for the advice.

CJM
12-27-2009, 08:39 AM
I think I got the wrong bearing. I can not see how it can go further down no matter what when its bottoming out where the snap ring fits if I put it in from the top.

The bearing is about 1/4 of an inch thick and the area it fits into on the frame is the same.. Therefore it is the wrong bearing or I really messed up the frame there. Only conclusion is the snap ring area is deformed..

The bearing I have I got off ebay and it says it works with multiple bikes such as 300,250, 250r, etc. Just ordered apparently OEM from bikebandit soo we shall see.

ETA: This is really pissing me off to no end..